WHEN sectioning your hair to color it yourself to u use hair ties. fish clips.. or those metal clips.ANd do u start at the ROOTS or bottom??&WHT brand do u use?

i have a ton of hair and i have to section my hair like 10 plus times when i color it... i use hair tyes but the weight of the hair always makes it fall in my face.... and last time i did MY hair i started at the bottom and it turned out bad... so do those that color there own hair alwys start on the top.... and lastly what brand do u use.. and how much is it?
THANK U SO MUCH FOR YOUR INFO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rydersmommy616

Asked by Rydersmommy616 at 11:02 PM on Jul. 31, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• I just use a big claw clip for all the hair that I'm not doing at the time (not separate sections, basically just the 2 - working on and waiting)
    Always start at the roots like it says in the instructions.

I buy Garnier because I like how my hair feels after, not all dry like the cheaper brands. It's not expensive, but it's been a while so I can't tell you exact price
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 11:04 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• What does it suggest on the box? I would assume as many sections as possible to get the best outcome.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 11:08 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I use claw clips and start with the bottom layers first. Always do roots first, and if you have thick hair you will probably need to use more than one dye kit, I usually have to use 2-3 depending on how long my hair is at the time. I have never gotten away with using one dye kit. I like Garnier, too. It doesn't smell too bad and generally it doesn't fry my hair. Oh and another thing, do all of your roots, then work the dye through the rest of your hair.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 11:20 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• If you've previously colored your hair, always start at the roots. If it's uncolored hair, you can start either at the ends or the roots since it will all develop at the same rate. I wouldn't use any kind of metal clip because the hair color can react with the metal and cause problems. I use Clairol Perfect 10. It's about $9 at Walmart and I like that it's quick and leaves my hair feeling soft and silky. Covers the gray very well, too. I picked up a set of plastic clips made by Conair that are similar to what stylists use and they work nicely to section my hair while I'm coloring. I part it into 4 sections and let one down at a time to get the color on. My hair is pretty short and fairly fine, so you might need more than 4 sections to contain all of yours.
    jsnzmom

Answer by jsnzmom at 11:26 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO LADIES
    Rydersmommy616

Comment by Rydersmommy616 (original poster) at 11:33 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• Nice-n-easy grey coverage, and the directions say to start at the crown and roots and work your way around. READ the directions of ANY brand before you start and youll get great results every time. Dont use metal clips, always plastic. You dont even have to section your hair if youve done it allot. You know you got it all. Section is used to ensure even coverage for beginners who dont color often.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 1:57 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• it depends on what you are trying to accomplish.. if you are going lighter.. you'll want to talk to someone who knows how to properly decolorize hair, like a stylist..

for going darker or staying the same level:
    I normally section with the nozzle of the bottle and do around the hair line first.. and then my I do my top part down to the nape of my neck, and then cross section (so it looks like a + sign on the top of my head). from there I normally start at the front only because colored hair is easy to pile where you want it (like out of your face). I do small sections.. with the nozzle.. typically I don't use clips, I let the sectioning with the color along my roots do the holding for me.

I don't use box, only professional products..
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:14 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• Whatever you do do not use metal clips
    fryshannon34

Answer by fryshannon34 at 11:58 PM on Aug. 14, 2010