do you give your toddlers or kids in general soda?

i dont know why this bugged me so much its none of my business but my sister in law was handing off sodas to her 1 year old and 4 year old like it was nothing! and the kids chugged like down faster then I could even finish half a glass! i counted 5 cans within 4 hours.
do you let your kids drink alot of soda? I personally only let my oldest kids drink it if we go to a restaraunt and give my toddlers juice or milk. whast your opinion on this? am I the only one who thinks its wrong ?

Kayge

Asked by Kayge at 11:08 PM on Jul. 31, 2010 in General Parenting

• they get the last little bit once in a while, but not like all the time or even every day.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 11:09 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I didn't when she was one. She had a few sips here and there from about 18 months or so to about 3. Then we'd give her some occasionally. Like around a 2 liter in a months time, lasting the whole month.
    She gets one small cup of diet sprite a day, one cup of juice (also small) a couple cups of milk and the rest is water. And she loves water. She'll sometimes skip the juice and soda and just have milk and water.
    I couldn't see just handing off cans of it to a one year old.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:10 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I have a 19 month old and the only time he drinks soda is if we go through a drive through and I or dh gets a sprite or something and we give him a sip. Other then that we try to stay away from sodas. We drink water and lemonade.
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 11:10 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• my 14 month old son has never had soda and i dont plan on him having it for a while, but when he gets a little older, i will let him drink it occasionally - at resturants, on holidays or BBQ's, when other kids are drinking it... things like that. and eventually, when his father has soda here and if he actually wants soda everyday, he will be limited to one glass a day.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:11 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• At home, no, they aren't allowed soda except as a very rare treat (a few weeks ago I picked up those small 8oz cans of root beer as a treat for them). When we are out to eat they are allowed to order soda but usually choose milk or juice instead. And that's only if they behave otherwise they get water and have no say in the matter (even if a drink comes with their meal).
    That's also once they were 3. Before that they only had the choice of water, milk or juice although we gave them sips of our soda from time to time. Even with the choice to get it when we eat out (which is a lot) they still don't drink that much.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:11 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• When I take my 4 yr old to the movies, I get her a sprite because it's a "special occasion". I give my 1 yr old a sip of sprite or non-caffeinated root beer every now and then just so she doesn't feel left out. Plus it's cute to see her reaction to the bubbles! lol As for drinking it all the time, absolutely not. They usually drink water, milk, or juice.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 11:12 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• I have never given my son soda and he'll be 2 in a few days. The only time he ever tasted it was when he snuck a sip from Daddy's can. I hope he makes the nasty face he did then everytime he tastes it...just like Mommy! I've never liked soda.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 11:13 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• no, i wouldn't... no kool aid either
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 11:13 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• My DS gets to have one occasionally (1-2 times a month). We didn't start letting him have them until he was 7 and he's only allowed caffeine free drinks. DD (5) hasn't had any yet.
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 11:13 PM on Jul. 31, 2010

• If we got out my kids get their choice between clear pop (sprite, sierra mist), root beer, lemonade, or chocolate milk. So...they get pop maybe a few times a year, if they choose it over choc milk. At home - heck no, they don't need it!
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 11:16 PM on Jul. 31, 2010