how can i discipline a one year old?

when i tell him no he shakes his head no back at me and starts laughing, my doctor said i could put him in time out for one minute but will he even understand that he's being punished?

jonreesespcs

Asked by jonreesespcs at 7:25 PM on Oct. 3, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i just popped his hand or butt. that young, my son didn't understand what time-out was.
    Anonymous

• My son's two now and I still haven't figured this one out. Now, when he has something he shouldn't he'll stand there smiling until I notice him and then run. Time out's didn't work, he could care less when I spank him, I don't know two years in and I'm still lost. I'm pretty lucky though he only does small toddler misbehaving stuff. And he does listen pretty well. It's in your tone of voice also. If I get down and talk with him he calms down faster. If you find something that works let me know, lol.
    proudmamma9706

Answer by proudmamma9706 at 7:29 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• It is best to divert his attention. At this age he would have no idea why he was in time out. Now is the time to decide if you will spank or not. If you plan to spank then "popping" his hand will teach him that doing whatever he is doing will bring pain and hopefully he will not do it again. There are plenty of ways to discipline without spanking, though. At 1 year old I would simply move him away from whatever he is getting into and give him something else to hold his attention. I would not even try using time outs until the child was 2 1/2 or 3.
    coug70_99

Answer by coug70_99 at 8:00 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I don't advocate popping hands or spanking simply because i feel it teaches children that its ok for larger people to hurt smaller people...

At this age keep it simple... tell him why he can't do what your telling him no... no touching the stove its hot..... or instead of saying no try different words like Hot, Dangerous, Stop, gentle, freeze.... to many restrictions can cause problems so make sure your place is child proofed... try and divert his attention before he gets into trouble... if he is touching say an electrical cord say stop touching that's dangerous.... you can touch this ______ instead..... give him something he can touch... or move him to another location
    tocreatefire

Answer by tocreatefire at 8:57 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Me and my husband use time out..and just use words she will understand *as to why she is there..she is almost two* It seems to work for her..but kids grow and learn at different stages..At this ponit you need to find somethng that works for you and your family...

Good Luck
    Novmeber2006

Answer by Novmeber2006 at 10:07 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Have you ever heard of 123 magic? Check it out. it is a book and around here in schools they are practicing it and I started to use it on my then 2 yr olds and it works. Consistency is important. I highly recommend this book.
    angeleyes31376

Answer by angeleyes31376 at 7:12 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I feel your pain. My 15 month old is constantly touching things he knows he shouldn't, and a "No", "Hot" or pop on the hand do NOT even phase him. I reserve the hand-smacking for dangerous instances like the stove or something that could be potentially dangerous. Diversion is really all you can do at this point, and I think that's what your pediatrician was getting at with the time out. No, he will not understand he is being punished, but it definitely removes him from the situation.

My question is, does your pediatrician have children? Does he know that it's virtually impossible to get a one year old to do ANYTHING for a full minute?
    bdotmom

Answer by bdotmom at 10:16 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• My daugher is 18 months old and is doing the same thing. Everytime I tell her no, she shakes her head and tells me no. If she has something that she is not suppose to she will run away when I try to take it from her. She is also throwing and hitting people too.
    I decided to try what my sister-in-law did with her kids. When every they were bad she would make them stand at the wall with their nose touching it. So after he last incident with throwing hard objects at people, i picked her up and took her over to the wall. I placed her facing the wall and she began laughing, so i gave her a small spanking so that she would realize that the wall was for punishment. She thought it was the end of the world. Everytime that she tried to move away from the wall I would tell her that she had to stand there.

The funny part was she actually stayed at the wall. And I have yet to see her throw something at someone.
    ANGELS_MAMA

Answer by ANGELS_MAMA at 1:01 PM on Oct. 4, 2008