Is there a way to get rid of worms in a dog without taking them to the vet?

Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:28 PM on Oct. 3, 2008 in Pets

• no, not really. you need to take it to the vet to figure out what kind of worms and the correct and most efficient treatment.
    pitbull4me

Answer by pitbull4me at 7:44 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• No, you better take him before it gets serious
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 7:53 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• If they have intestinal worms they could also have heartworms.. which left untreated can be deadly... Take the animal to the vet as there might be more going on then just the worms you are seing
    tocreatefire

Answer by tocreatefire at 8:50 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I did see some dewormer med at Target yesterday when I was buying some kitty shampoo. If you have experience with worms (we do, rubbing the butt across the floor!) then maybe you can try that and save yourself a costly visit to the vet. We give heartworm pill once a month so if this came about with our dog I would try the over the counter stuff personally. Good Luck!
    Roby13

Answer by Roby13 at 10:41 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Go to a regular vet store--where they sell large animal medicine that ranchers buy--they usually carry small animal products. We not only buy wormer at such a place, we also buy our own vaccine and give our dogs their shots--including rabies. As a side note--dogs only need the rabies shot every 3 years. My vet told me there is the 1 year shot and the 3 year shot---I asked--and they are the same medicine with a different label to satisfy city ordinances that call for 1 year rabies. But your dog health-wise only needs it every three years. Here where I live, our city council is finally getting a clue and looking at changing it back to 3 years. We live in the county so it doesn't apply to us. Just keep the bottle label taped on a piece of paper with the date--in case you need it for the authorities. It is more healthful for dog to only get it every three years.

Ronnie80

Answer by Ronnie80 at 12:39 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• I used to work as a Vet tech and it depends on how old your dog is. If your dog is a puppy it is wise to just deworm your dog when you take it in for it's puppy series of shots. If you have an older dog and you have seen worms then you can treat them at home. You can call your regular vet and they can give you medicine or you can get a dewormer at a farm and feed store or pet store. If you have not seem worms and you just think you see signs of worms there are lots of causes. Scooting along the floor does not necessarily mean worms, could also mean anals sacs are clogged (dogs have anal glands right inside their anus) Vets recommend you deworm once a year whether there are signs of worms or not. If in doubt go to the vet. Any more questions just write me.
    shanny35

Answer by shanny35 at 12:35 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• My advice is to go to a pet store or feed store and they have liquid wormer that is usualy cheaper that way. I would not use wallmart or target or other stores like that products, like Hartz products. trust me. I am an animal care specialist and once a cat came in frome poisoning because of this product ever since then I have neve baught or adviced it.
    christina200107

Answer by christina200107 at 2:33 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Yes, you can go to Revival Animal health -  They offer many things that the VET offers - all at great prices..too...YOUR vet doesn't want you to know about this place...

http://www.revivalanimal.com/store/Search.aspx?SearchTerms=dogs%20worms

nuvetmarie

Answer by nuvetmarie at 4:27 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• although pets require regular vet care - most vets realize in these hard times that an office visit isn't always in your best economic interest. don't know where you live but in our rural community we can call our vet clinic with the pets weight and they will distribute the medicine with out an office visit. also don't buy that over the counter stuff - it is usaully crap - you can buy heartgard though over the counter usually and it does take care of worms - but very expensive
    orangetattoo

Answer by orangetattoo at 4:28 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• http://www.apluspetcare.com/untitled4.html

Keep this link - NuVET plus helps to get rid of oozy ears and itching... Also, healthy dogs don't get worms...
    learn more
    nuvetmarie

Answer by nuvetmarie at 4:28 PM on Oct. 4, 2008