Anybody have pets?

My son and SO want a puppy, which we can afford but we live in a pretty small house, so we do have a yard. Thoughts/ advice?

EyeofOdin

Asked by EyeofOdin at 12:04 AM on Aug. 1, 2010 in Pets

• We have a small backyard and my boys and i both want a puppy. but i want a puppy that grows into a medium/large sized dog. ...so we're waiting until we have more space.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:06 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• If your son is old enough to walk him and feed him say go fo it. Just get a small dog :)
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 12:06 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• We have a 2 year old basset hound/beagle mix and a 8 month old Chautauqua mixed with something else. They're inside dogs and go outside for walks on the leash.
    Whatever you get, I'd recommend looking into how big it will be full size and their temperament with kids. Good luck and lucky kid!
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 12:07 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• We got a puppy back in December after years of my kids begging for one (we also have 2 cats). He's a Jack Russell & Poodle mix (no shedding!!) and small. He's as big as one of our cats and only weighs 9lbs, but he's very active and runs circles around our small yard.

Since you have a small yard you should probably get a small dog, we used to have a German Shepherd and when we moved to where we live now he just took up too much space (he was 125lbs!). He also didn't have enough space to run.
    colethky

Answer by colethky at 12:10 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Before we moved, we had a German shepherd and a black lab. We had several acres that they could run on at that point. Right now all we have is a small yard and don't want a small dog, so we're waiting until we have a bigger place. If you want one, just make sure it's a smaller one if you're worried about not having enough room. Or one that doesn't have a lot of energy and need lots of exercise.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 12:16 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• well we have a small but not too small 2 bdrm house. we have 2 little dogs and a cat, now the people next door with a house the same size has 1 boxer dog and 2 cats but the cats are out side most the time. with a smaller house keep it to 2 tiny or 1 standard sized dog something about 25 to a good 90 is ok with out being to big. (oh and your local pound is a good place to get a dog.)
    Manda_Evans

Answer by Manda_Evans at 12:33 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• As long as you walk the dog regularly, it will be fine. There are plenty of dogs that do well in small spaces too, just research the breed you want to get.
    newmomma14

Answer by newmomma14 at 12:59 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• As an animal rescuer I ask that you think it over completely before making a decision. Please research any breed you are thinking of no matter what the size is so that it does not end up in a shelter. Think about your future plans, possible moving, possible job changes and any other bumps which would cause you to give up your dog and make sure you have a plan. #1 if you do still get a dog, spay/neuter it, microchip it and train it. These three things will help to retain the dog instead of the possibility of it ending up in a shelter. Research your local resources for assistance in s/n or other help (food banks) etc. You may be able to get assistance with the spaying and neutering and if there does come a time that you are struggling you'll know where to get help to keep the dog.
    ferocity302

Answer by ferocity302 at 10:10 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Small house = small dog.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:32 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• We have 4 pets please keep in mind ( I wish I did when my kids were smaller) pets stay around when the kids are grown and gone. The deal was my son got a cat when my son leaves he takes the cat. Well cat is still here and my son is in the navy. My daughter has a cat and dog when she moves she takes them both well she went to college. My dog is 14 yrs old Total 4 pets.
    Guess who got stuck with them parents do...... becareful with your decision
    bmwlover

Answer by bmwlover at 7:05 PM on Aug. 1, 2010