Is anyone else Hypoglycemic?

I found out a couple weeks ago I'm hypoglycemic, but I haven't found out how to manage it yet or hardly any info about it. Can you please help me get the information I need to better myself/body.

istylin26

Asked by istylin26 at 1:03 AM on Aug. 1, 2010 in Health

• I have hypoglycemia. A lot of times, it can be managed with good diet but some severe cases need medication.
    Basically, your blood sugar drops much faster and much lower than normal in between meals. Most people with the condition need to eat about every two hours and maintain a good balance of proteins and carbohydrates every time you eat. You'll also need to avoid highly processed carbs (they spike and drop your blood sugar way too fast) and you should aim for low GI carbs - carbs that have low glycemic index ratings. These are usually whole grains and non-starchy veggies like spinach and other greens.
    You'll more than likely go talk with a nutritionist who will repeat all this information and very much more. :-)
    eema.gray

Answer by eema.gray at 1:13 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I also found out I am hypoglycemic. They have me on medications though. I test when I notice I am having a low. Also a good thing I did was google it!
    justme581

Answer by justme581 at 1:06 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• What tests did they do to find out if you had it?
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 1:07 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• i have it it is a pain when ur pregnant an i eat 6 small meals a day an carry snacks when i going to be away from home
    Prego889

Answer by Prego889 at 1:15 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I kept passing out and every time the hospital said my blood sugar was really really low. They diagnosed me with hypoglycemia, but I having been tested by an endocrinologist or given any meds for it. Every time I experience a low, I was told to consume sugar.
    istylin26

Comment by istylin26 (original poster) at 1:15 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• My mom has it & I have diabetes. We both eat a lot of peanuts to keep our sugar levels even in-between meals. They have a lot of fat so don't go too crazy but they are really good for leveling out and not going too low. Talk to a doctor, or if you can't google it.

Btw, I get free health insurance from my state (cali) because we're low income and my diabetes. If you don't have health care already check it out.
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 1:18 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Thank you for your help everyone :)
    istylin26

Comment by istylin26 (original poster) at 1:18 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• go visit a nutritionist...my MIL was hypoglycemic but discovered that her real issue was her adrenal glands and thyroid gland issues that were causing the hypoglycemia...her nutritionist also told her to snack all day on PROTEINS, so now she carries baggies of walnut, almond, cashews, peanuts and sunflower seeds where ever she goes...she said it makes her feel much better than trying to eat something sugary...hope this helps
    Kimra

Answer by Kimra at 1:28 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Thanks Kimra :)
    istylin26

Comment by istylin26 (original poster) at 1:31 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• im hypoglycemic and was told when i have that feeling of no energy, tired, light headed hot.. etc.. to not eat sugar. but to eat other things to help it get better like...beef jerky helps, nuts .....special k bar... stuff like that not just like candy or a soda... that would make it worse for me if i got a soda nd stuff
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 2:11 AM on Aug. 1, 2010