My 2 y/o son has had a fever for 2 days now..

He acts normal when he gets his medicine and a nice bath.. I was about an hour late on his medicine tonight and he threw up. What can I do to help bring down his fever? If he is still running a fever in the morning Im taking him to the doctors.. But what can I do to make him feel better overnight?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:28 AM on Aug. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• If he isn't better tomorrow, then call the doctor. It is not serious or bad for a child to run a fever for more than 24 hrs. And it is not a medical emergency unless it is over 105 and not brought under control with medications. He is fighting an infection and that is what fever is designed to do.

Keep him cool and alternate motrin and tylenol (or generics.) cool wash cloths, popsicles, gator aid, cool mint tea.

If he gets a whole lot worse today and is lethargic and unresponsive, then call the doctor.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:57 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• cold washclothes under his armpits and on his forehead with infant tylenol or ibuprofen. dr's normally say 3 days with a fever is okay, but not over. Good luck and sorry he's sick.
    chupachyps

Answer by chupachyps at 1:30 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• if it has gone on for over 24 hours i even I would take the child to the ER. i hate the idea of a late night run to the hospital and i avoided it at all costs but if it has been over 24 hours i would be packing a bag...

i would look into calling the ER first...

when my son was really sick the first time he was 1. it was the month before his birthday. it was a total nightmare. i kept him sleeping in a swing i had to feed him through a medicine surrenge (sc)..

i actually called this telaservice provided by my local hospital when my son was really sick and they said critically that 102 is fighting an infection and not bad if held for something under 24 hours... any kind of fever over 24 hours is not recommended...
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 1:35 AM on Aug. 1, 2010