How can I cope with missing my daughter who lives 6hrs away and I now can only see twice a year?

Holly went away to school in MO. She graduated and took a teaching job there. I am glad she finished school and found a job; especially in these times. It just makes me sad that I only see her now twice a year.

sunshine425

Asked by sunshine425 at 1:32 AM on Aug. 1, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• Now I don't intend this to sound mean in any way, by any means,(a lot of means) so don't take it that way. The 6 hours you have you can go really ANY TIME you want, you can CALL anytime you want and can TALK as long as you want. You can get up everyday and know that your daughter is there and you can do these things, and hopefully she can come see you. You can love her, see her, hug her, and kiss her, so 6 hours isn't so bad twice a year, in my eyes. You see: my daughter was killed at age 20, I CAN'T see her, hug her, hold her, kiss her, I'll not have that 6 hours away. I've learned in a very hard way, enjoy what you have. GOD gives us things in our lives to handle for what ever reason, enjoy, I don't enjoy my reason what so ever, but that's the hand I was dealt.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 8:06 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

• I cannot say anything from your perspective but I moved 900 miles away from my mom. I see her 2-3 times a year. We talk on the phone once a week or so and chat online through Facebook. We video conference occasionally.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 1:34 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Momma she is a big girl now I understand that she will always be your little girl but she has grown up and she is a wonderful smart women you did a great job with your DD talk to her on the phone and when you do see her next give her the biggest hug ever and tell her that you have missed her ALOT. You made her who she is today, great job momma.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 2:17 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• You might try skype video conferencing. It's free and you can also use it on certain phones.
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 1:37 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I am there with you...DD lives in New Mexico. I see her once a year. Very lonely. We do a lot of e-mail, especially jokes or shopping coupons or cheap travel information. Unlimited cell phone use and texting has been a huge help, but the best tech aid in easing the pang of empty nest syndrome is Skype. Sitting there face to face every Sunday just like we were together chatting. You can see every facial expression, especially her smile! Good luck and if you need to chat to get through this awful time, and it is awful, let me know!
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 9:21 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I would say invest in a webcam and something like Skype... You may not be able to actually be there with her, but seeing her would be a great advantage.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 1:03 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Yes, I hear ya, but I agree with the ladies skype is the next best thing to being there.

Answer by older at 3:58 PM on Aug. 2, 2010

• It is difficult but another vote for skype here.
    drfink

Answer by drfink at 7:05 PM on Aug. 2, 2010