How can I teach my son to drink from a sippy cup?

My 10 month old doesn't seem to suck hard enough to get anything from his sippy cup.

danielle8717

Asked by danielle8717 at 8:02 PM on Oct. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter was the same way! Just give him time and he'll get it. I thought my daughter never would but one day out of the blue she did it! Give him a "beginner" sippy cup if you feel its necessary. They are the same as a standard one but have a rubber spout ( like a bottle).
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:08 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I started my DD at 6 months on the Nuby. It has the silcone spout that is soft and pliable. My DD loved to chew on them also. They are inexpensive and you can get them at walmart. Since being on them she can now used any type of sippy. Also the nuby has a built in valve so you don't have to be looking for and cleaning the other ones. Good luck and don't worry he'll get it.
    fbic72

Answer by fbic72 at 8:29 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• just keep giving it to him and let him practice. Also maybe try a different type. The Nuby seem to make the liquid come out faster till he gets use to it. My 6mos old daughter uses that one.
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 8:31 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Here is what you do...
    1) remove the rubber stopper that makes it spill proof
    2) help him take a drink - since the juice/water will flow right out, it should be easy
    3) let him have 3 or so sips this way
    4) replace the stopper.

He now knows that he wants what is inside and he will suck to get it out.

Also - check the stopper to make sure there is an opening in it. I bought one and I noticed when I was washing the stopper that there was no slit in it - factury default. Just squeeze the stopper and see if it "opens"
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 9:33 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I think if you try different kinds you might find one he is able to suck out of. I found the Avent cups are great starter cups
    momma-meg

Answer by momma-meg at 10:04 AM on Oct. 6, 2008