I'm worried

My daughter is almost 10 months old. She used to eat all the baby foods and all the veggies but now the only thing I can get her to eat is oatmeal, rice cakes, and yogurt. I'm worried she is not getting the nutrition she needs. Any suggestions?

JoonBug21

Asked by JoonBug21 at 8:12 PM on Oct. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't know if your baby eats rice cereal or regular rice, but you can try sneaking some veggies into that. For my son, I used to make rice with peas, carrots and onions(when he was little I'd put it in the blender, but when he was able to chew, I'd just chop the onions and carrots). I would also do pastina with tomato sauce and the good thing about tomato sauce is, most kids like it and you can hide lots of veggies in it. And, I don't know if your LO is eating fruits, but you can add some fruit into the yogurt also.
    Paesana82

Answer by Paesana82 at 8:18 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• It sounds like shes just making the transition to table foods, which is good since they like kids to be eating a good variety at a year old anyway. I would just try to introduce her to as many table foods as possible if she is running with it. I'm assuming she is still on formula or breastmilk and that has all the nutrients she really needs. The doctor might suggest putting her on a vitamin supplement, but I think every kid goes through a period where they will only eat certain foods.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:19 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I'll try the tomato sauce but she hates rice cereal and she doesnt like veggies by themselves either.
    JoonBug21

Answer by JoonBug21 at 8:21 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I had this same problem with one of my twins. She is 10 months old now and she has never really liked baby food however she absolutely loves yogurt. I talked to my pediatrician about this at their 9 month check up. She said some babies just don't like baby food and will eat much better if you feed them table food. Also until they are 12 months, all the vitamins and nutrients they need come from their formula. Solid food is really just a filler for their tummy until they go to whole milk. You might try offering more table foods like cottage cheese and fruit, thin shaved lunch meat and sliced cheese, pasta with tomato sauce, rice and veggies from the table...these were all suggestions my doc gave me and worked great! If you would like you can message me and maybe i can help you come up with some more ideas!
    twinsmom1107

Answer by twinsmom1107 at 8:25 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• i used to mix oatmeal in with her yogurt..my daughter was and still is a yogurt freak!! lol..she eats 3-4 yogurt cups a day and always has...so with her i was able to mix the oatmeal in..as long as your child is somewhat eating a variety of foods..all will be fine..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 9:39 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• MY HEART GOES OUT TO YOU BECAUSE I KNOW HOW WORRIED A MOM CAN GET ABOUT THIS. MY DAUGHTER IS LACTOSE INTOLERANT, ALERGIC TO SOY, HAS A PROBLEM GAINING WEIGHT AND IS THE WORLDS PICKIEST EATER. HER DOC PUT HER ON A MULTIVITAMIN THAT HAS FLORIDE IN IT, SINCE WE LIVE IN AN AREA THAT DOES NOT HAVE FLORIDE IN THE WATER. SHE WAS PREMIE AND I AM ALWAYS WORRIED ABOUT HER GETTING THE PROPER NUTRIENTS. I HAVE LEARNED THAT IF THERE IS A FOOD SHE WILL EAT I SIMPLY BLEND UP SOME VEGGIES AND THROW IT IN AS WELL. MOST OF THE TIME SHE DOESNT NOTICE. WHITE RICE IS ABOUT THE ONLY THING MY DAUGHTER LIKES TO EAT SO I BLEND UP CARROTS, PEAS, AND GREEN BEANS AND ADD IT. SHE LOVES IT, JUST ADDS SOME PASTE TO IT BASICALLY. WELL, I HOPE THIS HELPS SOME. HANG IN THERE MOMMA.
    alicia_4307

Answer by alicia_4307 at 2:42 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• my son started doing that, but thats when instead of water i would mix juices in there or buy the oatmeal and rice in different flavors, and yes i would make those funny car and airplane noises with him and he was more interested then also i pretended that i would eat it to. but i dont know if that one is a good idea because i also believe that if you pretend to eat it then feed him they will always want to eat what ur eating.
    MomiOn07

Answer by MomiOn07 at 3:03 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Same with my son, I figured out that he likes sweet potato's so I mix a little other veggies in with that and he doesn't seem to notice. Plus i mix in cereal with everything I feed him. I still feel like he is not getting enough protein, but I try to give him a taste of everything I am eating although he doesn't seem to like much. I think all you can do is keep trying.
    momma-meg

Answer by momma-meg at 10:02 AM on Oct. 6, 2008