My son just turned 3 on September 21st and he basically will not have anything to do with the potty. He screams and starts crying and says he doesnt like it anytime we try to put him on the potty. He acts like hes afraid almost. Bribes dont work. We've tried stickers even candy and ice cream. He is very smart and we are told advanced for his age. Does anyone have any suggestions?????

beckyd1203

Asked by beckyd1203 at 8:13 PM on Oct. 3, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Dont get discouraged. My son will be 4 in Nov and just got fully trained about 2 months ago. I kept him in pull ups until he got so I wouldn't get frustrated and he wouldn't feel like he was getting in trouble. He would go every once in a while and then didn't want anything to do with it. He totally freaked out the first time he pooped on the potty. I did all the rewards also with no progress, I just backed off and didn't push. He got it all on his own. My first son was almost 3 1/2 before he totally got it also. Just relax and he will relax. Good Luck to you.
    fbic72

Answer by fbic72 at 8:23 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Its normal! My son is 3 and was just trained...One day we just had a pee pee party...I just gave him a ton of liquids and put him in his favorite character undies...Just sit on the potty & read whatever you can do..Keep him there Have a lot of juice on hand,Salty foods etc...Stay in there until he finally goes then Literally throw a party! PRAISE,PRAISE,PRAISE! lol...My son got to go to toys r us and pick out a New Thomas train and movie..He has gone ever since in the potty no accidents!!
    Anonymous

• Put him in underwear and don't look back. Be prepared to clean up lots of messes and don't get frustrated. It can be gross but by this age he can control it and will if he has the right motivation. You just have to figure out what that motivation is!
    Anonymous

• Teach him to pee standing up like Daddy. Let Daddy demonstrate and put Cheerios or similar cereal in the toilet for target practice and make a game of it! It worked for my 2 boys.
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 8:55 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• This is TOTALLY Normal and Boys tend to train later then girls....the more you push it the less they will want to.... get him a child's potty chair and/or toilet ring if that might help him... Change all his diapers in the bathroom standing up unless they are a BM.... make him clean up then let him chose if he wants to sit and try for a few seconds, give it a few weeks then tell him that you want him to pick a date to go get some underwear and start wearing them, take him to the store and buy about 5 pks of underwear of his choice. Then on the selected day put him in underwear.... be prepared for accidents. Thenevery 30 minutes take him to the bathroom..if he has an accident don't make a huge deal out of it or shame him just have him clean it up. don't alternate back and forth between diapers/pullups and underwear just switch completely and stock up on laundry detergent
    tocreatefire

Answer by tocreatefire at 9:30 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Don't worry about it---all kids are different and he will get it when he's ready...although I had success with my son getting him to 'sink the Cheerio'...
    couturemom23

Answer by couturemom23 at 10:40 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• My little guy is also just starting and his 3rd birthday was 8/12. no worries, friend! i'm in it with you!!! rewards are useless. he pees thru underwear and doesnt even notice. sigh. they will get there!!!!!! :)
    amkarvelis

Answer by amkarvelis at 11:13 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Ask him WHY he doesn't like it. From what I've read, sometimes a child can get hurt by his potty - the seat can shitt and pinch his bottom or private parts. That would naturally make him afraid to ever go near that potty again. Another problem is some kids are afraid of the big potty and feel scared sitting on it even with an adaptor.
    If you think that might be the case, consider buying another potty. If he helps pick it out, he may get over his fear a little quicker. Also, if he uses a little potty now, he might be happier with a potty seat adaptor for the big potty - or the other way around - since that would be a lot different than what he is currently using.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:31 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• i have a masters degree in child dev and can tell you its completely normal for young boys to need help potty training up till the age of 5...if you force him he will retaliate and you DONT want that at all. let him do it on his own
    Anonymous

• If he doesn't want to go, Quit Making Him. He will go when he wants to , not when you want him to. The more you push him going potty, the longer it will take. Just forget about it for a while, like a month or two, and then Ask Him if he wants to try it again. Remember that he is his own person and is not you.
    Anonymous