Are Illegitimate children no longer a faux pas?

Nearly 40 percent of babies born in the United States in 2007 were delivered by unwed mothers.”

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 3:58 AM on Aug. 1, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Yeah, it's no longer a big deal....
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 4:01 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Wow...
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 4:02 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Do not seem to be. I suppose my son falls in that category, but I am not one of the many people who actually care what people think.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 4:04 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• But what will he think when he is around his friends?
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 4:05 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I am illegitimate and I am not married either and My kids have a sir name my sir name or the younger one does.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 4:05 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• @35yoamom..........if that question was directed at me.....the answer would be.....I am unable to foresee the future so I cannot answer that specific question. I can say that I personally don't give a ....!!! If my son asked me why I am not married to his father well I would answer with the total and complete truth (as I plan to do with each and every question he ever asks me for his entire life).
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 4:12 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• my 2 oldest and my twins were conceived when I wasn't married, I wed when I was pregnant with my twins and this unborn baby was conceived after marriage, but I don't think its a big deal. Sure, God wants us to marry of course but everyone sins, even those who judge others.
    babyangelromero

Answer by babyangelromero at 4:40 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• When I was born, my parents were married, they got a divorce when I was five. I haven't seen my dad since, and my mom stayed a single mom. Are you saying that I should feel bad when around my friends that have both parents in their lives? No, I didn't. I knew my mom worked hard to support me and the lack of father in my life was necessary because of what a deadbeat he was (after marriage that is). Before they got married, he worked and was good to my mom, and after he couldn't hold a job and spent money like crazy. I'm proud of what my mom did. Just because someone knocks you up does mean you have to spend the rest of your life with them.. and face it, there are a select few people that wait until marriage to have sex.
    MomtoElliett

Answer by MomtoElliett at 5:13 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• My first two kids were born out of wedlock. My last after marriage. They all have my dh for a dad. Their friends if they are real friends wont care. They wont care around their friends. It is a new time learn to grow and get over the past. I am going to check back later. I just lost the little respect I gained for you by reading this post and need to leave or I'm going to be a Bitch.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 5:30 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• It's definitely not the stigma that it once was! I was born in 1968 to my unmarried mother (she was 23 at the time). As it was, being Irish, and living in Boston, we were already considered low class, so the fact that my mother was unmarried, was a REALLY big deal--so much so, that she gave me my father's last name--though I never met him!! I was told it was "easier" to pretend that you were divorced or a widow, to explain the lack of a husband?!

Anyway, (no doubt because of the stigma I felt) I waited to marry before having children--I was 33 when I had my first child. My husband was 39 when he became a dad for the first time!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:55 AM on Aug. 1, 2010