potty traing for a 16 mon. old

how is the best way to keep you kid on the pot long enuff to want to do what they have to do. sa soon as i put her on the potty she want to get off. i giv her somethng to play with but that only lasts a few min.

angelandlily

Asked by angelandlily at 8:29 PM on Oct. 3, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• is showing you signs of being interested? like watching you go potty?...wanting to hand you some t.p.? and or telling you/wanting you to change her when she is wet?....i personally think she might be too young yet! but you do what you want to...it's your child...Sorry i am no help....my daughter is 2 an is potty training as i type..she has been doing really well since wed morning! good luck but dont push too much it will only make it harder!
    mamactink

Answer by mamactink at 8:42 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• My son's 2 and has only peed in his potty once. However he's been sitting on it with me while i go for atleast 6 months. he sits down wipes his butt and thinks he did a good job, so i let him think that. His help me grow nurse said three is usually the age to start really trying to get them to use it. She said just the fact that he doesn't like being wet is good progress and just see how things go. However I have heard girls are easier than boys. My nice is two and she pees more frequently (few times a week but that's it). She'll let you know when she's ready. There's no harm in keeping a potty chair in the bathroom and seeing if she'll imitate mommy just to get her used to the idea of where mommy puts her pee and poo.
    proudmamma9706

Answer by proudmamma9706 at 9:02 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Honestly, I don't think she is ready. Every kid is different and some kids are ready at 16 months, but if your child is giving you trouble, they probably aren't ready yet. Two years old is the average.
    VAMommyX4

Answer by VAMommyX4 at 10:49 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• That is totally normal with some kids. I was told you will know when they are ready. My son was trained by 2 but my daughter occasionally wet herself until around 5. My son now is almost 3 and I sit him on the potty every day but he still hasn't figured it out. I keep his potty in the bathroom so when I go, he sits on his potty too but also not for long. They will figure it out when they are ready. Good Luck.
    armywife_2000

Answer by armywife_2000 at 10:55 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• MY DAUGHTER IS 18 MONTHS AND WE ARE TRYING TO POTTY TRAIN. SHE DOES POTTY SOMETIMES, USUALLY IF I PLACE HER ON THERE AS SOON AS SHE WAKES UP. SHE HAS EVEN POOPED A FEW TIMES. I CLAP REALLY LOUD AND TELL HER GOOD GIRL SEVERAL TIMES WHEN SHE GOES. SHE LOVES TO US TP TO WIPE. SHE WATCHES ME GO. SHE OBVIOUSLY DOESNT TALK WELL ENOUGH TO LET ME KNOW WHEN SHE NEEDS TO GO THOUGH. I AM MAINLY JUST TRYING TO INTRODUCE THE IDEA TO HER. I'M NOT EXPECTING HER TO BE POTTY TRAINED FOR A WHILE. I DON'T WANT TO PUSH HER. SHE ALSO WANTS TO PLAY WITH OTHER THINGS, BUT I TRY TO MAKE HER SIT FOR ATLEAST 2 MINUTES. IF NOT THEN ITS NOT A BIG DEAL. I GOT THE LITTLE SEAT THAT GOES ON THE REGULAR TOILET BECAUSE SHE MIMICS EVERYTHING I DO. IT JUST WORKS BETTER FOR HER.
    alicia_4307

Answer by alicia_4307 at 1:55 AM on Oct. 4, 2008