There is no such thing as absolute truth?

Two people could define truth in conflicting ways and both be correct... Do you Agree or Disagree

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 4:14 AM on Aug. 1, 2010 in Religious Debate

• NO, some people may believe that what they say, do, or believe is the absolute truth but the only really absolute truth can be proved with evidence of such.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 4:18 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• You disagree with the statement that there is no such thing or you agree that there is no absolute truth?
    35yoamom

Comment by 35yoamom (original poster) at 4:20 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• And being a person myself who claims to always tell the truth, I won't say or claim anything to be true unless I am able to provide such evidence.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 4:20 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Oh, I'm sorry I was not clear. YES, I do believe there is such a thing as absolute truth.
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 4:22 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• When I said NO, I was referring to the latter question (Do you Agree or Disagree?)
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 4:24 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• If you can prove with out any doubt some thing is true. Then yes it can be the absolute truth of the subject in question. If you are referring to religion than no. Because absolute truth would have to be proven with out a doubt, and that can not be done while living.
    As for two people claiming to know the truth, that can not be only one can be right. Though yes the things they claim may be true for both people.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 5:18 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I like the idea that there are different perspectives on the truth....two people could see exactly the same incident, and tell it in two different ways...both may be true....but the telling of it makes it different. If we strip our language down to very basics and everyone agrees not to add their own judgment into it, like the difference between wandering over the yellow line or jerking over the yellow line, then two people would come a whole lot closer to absolute truth....does that make sense ? lol I could be talking in circles but it makes sense to me, hahaha
    FXmomTo3

Answer by FXmomTo3 at 7:19 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Yes and No... I do tend to agree that there is rarely anything which is black and white in life... Just about everything we know is some shade of gray... BUT, there are some things which are certain and can not be questioned - For example if one person said they don't need to eat or drink for a week - they are without a doubt wrong... And the person to disagree with them would be correct 100%. There are just some laws of nature and physics that just can't be broken... However, beyond that, I have found that with any story told by more than one person, the truth is between the lines...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:04 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I believe in absolute truth. I believe in 2 different perspectives and it can be truth. I agree with your second statement. The glass is half empty, half full = 2 perspectives, two truths.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 2:01 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Two people can have two different beliefs in what the absolute truth is but one or both can be wrong. We won't know the absolute truth until after we die and only then if there is an afterlife. Until then we have to live according to what we believe the truth to be, and let others do the same.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 2:20 PM on Aug. 1, 2010