Sleeping thru the night

My son just had his two-week appointment on Monday and my doctor said since he is gaining weight so well I shouldn't wake him up for night feedings, only feed him if he wakes up on his own. Whenever my family/friends now ask how I'm doing with my lack of sleep and I tell them he's pretty much sleeping thru the night now, most comment on how I should be getting up with him and that no baby his age sleeps thru the night. How do I politely tell them to mind there own business?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:12 PM on Oct. 3, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• change the subject
    MomOfDagJag

Answer by MomOfDagJag at 9:13 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• First off, if you baby is hungry you will be woken up so your baby can eat. When my dd was born my Dr. told me to wake her up ever 3 hours... so I would have to set my alarm so I could wake her up and feed her... finally I said screw it... she will wake me when she is hungry. My DD has slept through the night since she was about a week-week and a half old. She will wake up sometimes once just for a drink. Don't listen to all those other people. Every child is different. Some need food ever hour... some need food every 5-6 hours.
    Coastiegirl96

Answer by Coastiegirl96 at 9:23 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• It just depends on the baby. I was scared when I would feed my baby from a bottle b/c she would drink more at one time than most... but didn't eat as often. When she would nurse (I pumped at work and she had bottles at day care) she would stay there for a long time and my friends baby wouldn't. Don't compare your baby to others b/c they are all different. So let your baby sleep and you get your sleep too! Being a new mommy is hard work... and Congrats!
    Coastiegirl96

• First of all, good for you! I thought I was lucky to have my little guy going 5 hours at a time at 3 weeks and sleeping all night at 10 weeks! As far as the nosey people, just say something like "I'm so thrilled with the new man in my life, I don't worry about the number of hours I sleep!" They may think you are just delirious from a lack of sleep, but you can laugh to yourself about the whole thing.

chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 9:54 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• "Well, the doctor said...." is the BEST thing to say!!! I used this when my son came home from the hospital, he was a month early. I still use it today for whatever I want.
    angeladh82

Answer by angeladh82 at 9:55 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• with my child i was a parent on demand...not a schedule. my dd let me know when she was hungry. i plan on doing the same with my son when he get here. just let them know that your child IS sleeping through the night and that if he is hungry he will wake up.
    Ronnies_Girl

Answer by Ronnies_Girl at 11:33 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• OH man, I heard that so many times. Ethan was snoozing all night long at a week or week and a half. I just fed him when he woke up and he's perfectly happy and healthy. Just tell them you know your son and he'll let you know what he needs.

Or like someone said, tell'em the doctor told you to let him wake you!
    rosewolfkin

Answer by rosewolfkin at 9:17 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Explain to them that you havea lready discussed the issue with your doctor and last you checked the doctor had the degree, not the rest of the people. ( well dont say that last part because thats noot really polite lol. Anyways, my son was only about a month old when he started sleeping through the night only waking up once and not even needing to eat.
    ctsassy

Answer by ctsassy at 10:23 PM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Your baby is only two weeks old. Sleep all you can right now. It may change tomorrow. If your child is sleeping, growing and happy, let it sleep! Colic doesn't show up for a while..................
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 11:33 AM on Oct. 5, 2008