Do you think parenting classes should be mandatory for anyone with kids?

keisha613

Asked by keisha613 at 6:39 AM on Aug. 1, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• In an ideal world, everyone would get parenting classes that include basic first aid/cpr and consumer ed/home ec classes before they were allowed to graduate high school - something that taught EVERYONE all the basic common sense things that nobody seems to bother to learn anymore (how to balance a check book, how to boil water, how to cook from scratch, how to do your own taxes, what interest on a credit card means, what can kill a baby, how to clean & why a child needs a sanitary environment)
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:29 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• That would just punish people who are doing a perfectly fine job for the sake of people who really need help.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 6:44 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I would not be insulted if I had to take a parenting class. Why should I? I have frequently said that I can not understand how people need a license to fish, own a dog, drive a car or to hunt, but anyone can have a child. I know I'm a good parent, but I'm willing to sacrifice my time to take a parenting class if it helps someone else in the long run.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:32 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I wouldn't want a dr giving parenting advice. They're doctors, not child psychologists, not safety experts, not nutritionists, etc. It sounds like a good idea but I wouldn't trust it. Who would make it mandatory? Hospitals? Government? Schools? Who would get to tell the parents what "good" parenting is? There's a lot of debate over that. Who would fund it? Would it be the deep emotional parts of parenting or common sense classes like the ones WIC has? There are too many different kinds parents to have one big "lesson plan" for everyone. And I see something like that turning into a breeding ground for salespeople. If advertisers fund programs, they can make people think they need their products when they don't or that product is even bad for parenting. I do think some emotional coaching going in would be good to make parents feel ready and excited rather than nervous.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 7:34 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• As opposed to people without kids? lol, sorry for the sarcasm I have had just a few hours of sleep.....to truthfully answer the question...I'm not really sure because yes it would be an insult to those doing a good job yet there are so many parents running on zero common sense that maybe there should be a quiz of some sort at all well child check ups, the ones with low scores have to watch a video, lol Just a thought, remember I'm low on sleep... or maybe DR'S could spend more time with parents during well child check ups and ask them questions about their daily parenting.
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 6:57 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• That would be nice. I took an infant parenting class before my son was born. Yet another fee! Though it was only like $35. It was very informative and defiantly made a difference in how I raised my son. I understood parent centered vs. child centered parenting, growth spurts, getting the baby into a natural routine, understanding a babies basic needs (food, warmth, cleanliness and attention) I would have been lost when my son came home without it. The problem is it only took me through about 1 year. Then you need a toddler parenting class, then a child, then a teen. There is no one class fits all unless it stayed very very basic. (nutrition and safety) So I guess I don't see the feasibility of it but I do very much see how helpful it could be.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:45 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• lol. *definitely
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:46 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• You don't need a license to own a dog...you have get the dog licensed....a tag saying you own it....just another way for local gov't to make money.

No, I don't think all parents should have to...who would pay for this? Another thing for taxpayers to cover? No thanks.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:06 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Yes.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 3:36 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Yes for the first time parents. I would have loved an explanation and help instead of learn while you go.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 5:58 PM on Aug. 1, 2010