Do you think childbirth and breastfeeding classes should be mandatory for any 1st time pregnant moms?

keisha613

Asked by keisha613 at 6:40 AM on Aug. 1, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Yes because so many women are so ill informed about those things these days and just go along with whatever their doctors and family tell them. I also agree that they should be free, or at least very low cost. I know so many women who either had a c-section because their doctor told them that 18 (or something like that) hours of labor was "too long" and convinced them, or said "I couldn't breastfeed because my baby couldn't latch" (after only trying once or twice, then decided to formula feed), or "I got the epidural because everyone/so-and-so said labor is the worst thing ever and I wouldn't make it without it," etc. I'm not trying to start a debate or bash, I just honestly believe that women would have better experiences all around if they were as informed as possible.

Continued in another post
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 7:13 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• No, but they should be free, and readily available.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 6:41 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Not as much as parenting classes should be and yes the birthing classes should be free
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 6:47 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• No it shouldn't be.
    Cassandre

Answer by Cassandre at 7:10 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• i do think everyone should take them and I agree on the free part, but hey its someones job to teach that class and they have to get paid. The classes where I live are cheap ($25) and if you have medical or some other government/ state paid insurance it covers the class.
    josephsgirl86

Answer by josephsgirl86 at 7:22 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• No but they should be more reasonable or covered by insurance. I had to pay $150 for my childbirth class and skipped the breastfeeding class since it was another $100. While my friend got her for free since she was on medicaid. WTH? Her insurance 'covers it' ( They have there own classes not through the hospital) but not mine? They should be easier to access by mothers who want/ need them.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:37 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• NO! I dont breastfeed, and a childbirth class is silly! I have gone to one and it done nothing for me! I ahve 4 kids and 1 on the way, and never has an issue withiut a class! It is free to all military families tho!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 8:55 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Basic child care and pregnancy classes should be offered free (and maybe required in certain circumstances, like previous exposure to children's services), but no woman should be forced into a breastfeeding class.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:59 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Unfortunately, you can't teach common sense, and the majority of parenting is just that!

I think there SHOULD be more readily available classes and that they should be offered either very low cost of free of charge... They should teach not only the HOW TOOS but the WHYs... WHY should you choose to breast feed and how to do it... WHY should you formula feed and how to do it. How to clean bottles properly, how to change diapers - how to use cloth and disposables - it's unfortunate but to many first timers don't have any of this basic stuff or understand their choices. I see Birthing classes as a complete waste of time and money, but they are available more readily than parenting classes - WTH is that about?

I would also like to add there should be BC and Sex Ed classes available for free or low cost and they should be open to the public. To many 1st timers just aren't ready, but weren't educated in the first place!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:40 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Continued....
    There are no birthing classes, no breastfeeding support classes or anything like that around here. I got all of my information from the internet, Ina May's Guide to Childbirth, What to Expect and a few other books that I can't remember. I made informed decisions about everything. I just wish that every woman would at least try to learn as much as she can about everything so that she knows, without a doubt, that she's doing what she truly wants and is best for her and her baby when the time comes. Almost everyone I know who has a kid just went along with everything their doctor and family told them to, without questioning anything at all.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 7:21 AM on Aug. 1, 2010