If doctors were paid the same amount for vaginal births as for c-sections, do you think they would "perform" as many?

keisha613

Asked by keisha613 at 6:49 AM on Aug. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• $13 to $20 billion a year could be saved in health care costs by
    demedicalizing childbirth, developing midwifery, and encouraging
    breastfeeding.
    - Frank Oski, MD, Professor and Director,
    Department of Pediatrics, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore,
    MD
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 6:21 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I don't know about all, but my doctor is a big proponent of natural, vaginal births. I ended up having an emergency c-section due to complications, he saved both mine and my sons life. I would assume that he "made more money" (which he should have, he performed more services) because of the c-section, but I guarantee that money was not his motivator - our lives were.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:57 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I think that depends on how much time one takes, compared to the other, also on how likely they feel they are to be sued with one, compared to the other.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 6:55 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I didn't know Dr's got paid more for a c-section, plus the Dr. oversees the c-section they do not actually perform them, that is the surgeon's job...at least that was the case in my c-section.
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 7:06 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Nope.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 7:06 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Two of my OBs are also surgeons and they perform the C-sections for the practices patients.
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 7:26 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• My OB did my c-sec from start to baby. An Assistant sewed me up. As far as the doctor getting paid more. I can't decide if I think they would be or not. Part of me says of course they do and part of me says well, why it doesn't take any longer, then part of me says well there is more risk and liability in a c-sec but then part of me says well, no not really. I don't know! lol.
    huh? Pictures, Images and Photos
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 7:33 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I thought all obstetricians were surgeons but I couldn't find a clear answer searching online.  I think that doctors perform unnecessary c-sections because they are afraid that they will be sued if something happened to the child during birth.  Plus insurance will only pay for a mother to be in the hospital for a few days but they'll pay for a baby in the NICU for several weeks.  I think the threat of losing their career is even greater than the extra money aspect.  Plus, hospitals collect most of the money from patients. 

JessWulf84

Answer by JessWulf84 at 7:47 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I've had 3 c-sections and yes they do get paid more, at least in my case. To answer the question, it would depend on the doctor. If he is ethical then he probably wouldn't do more or less than he does now. If he's just in it for the money then he probably would cut down on c-sections to lessen his chances of lawsuits or something.
    danyelle_123

Answer by danyelle_123 at 8:53 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I read that docors like the convenience that c-section births offer. It takes less time for them to do a c-section than to monitor a natural child birth in the number of hours spent.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 9:04 AM on Aug. 1, 2010