If im 50% effaced will i dialate quicker?

The doctor said that i am 50%effaced and a half cm dialated . They only want me to get as far as 2 cm dialated. i've been having more contractions, want to know if im 50%effaced will i dialate faster?

Thompsonlove

Asked by Thompsonlove at 7:05 AM on Aug. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• If your water has not broken. You will not go into true labor. I was dialated to 5 and still was not in true labor

Answer by louise2 at 7:25 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Not necessarily. I was 60% effaced at 32 weeks with my twins and only 1 cm dilated and went on modified bedrest (no heavy lifting or really strenuous housework and no sex). I made it to 37 weeks and was 70% effaced and 3 cm.s and still not in really labor. When I went in to be induced at 38 weeks I was 80% and 4cm. It wasn't till the broke my water that I went into real labor. But then after that it didn't take long be I delivered them.
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 7:32 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Not necessarily, effacement just means how thinned out your cervix is. I have heard of people being close to 100% effaced but only 4 cm dialated.
    KaitlinC87

Answer by KaitlinC87 at 8:18 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• It all depends on your body.......when it comes to labor nothing is a guarantee.

colethky

Answer by colethky at 8:41 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• i have to disagree with the first response. some babies are born without the water breaking (until after they are born). my water broke about 15 minutes before my baby was born. to answer your question, imo being 50% will not make you dilate faster. some will go from 0% to baby in just a couple hours while others will be 50% effaced for weeks and weeks. :)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:30 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• kinda wondering why do they only want you to go to 2cm?? but it depends on a lot of factors ranging for you to the readiness of the baby to be born. just wait and see is all i can say
    Prayingforbaby1

Answer by Prayingforbaby1 at 1:06 PM on Aug. 1, 2010