Self cleaning litter box recommendations?

What types/brands of cat litter boxes do you have or have oh owned? Why did you choose that one? How did it work? How much was it upfront AND in the long run with refills and such? Was it helpful? Was it worth it? Was your cat afraid of it? I've owned at least 1 cat since I was 13. I'd love to stop scooping litter but I want to buy the right thing. I don't want to get ripped off either or buy something that isn't much less work.

jus1jess

Asked by jus1jess at 8:07 AM on Aug. 1, 2010 in Pets

• It depends on how many cats you have. If you only have one cat then they are probably great. I have 13 and I can't have the automatic boxes as they get overused and I can't afford to buy as many as I would need.

I really liked the ones that I have had and the cats love them too. I've had the littermates.

I have not found that the automatic boxes are less work honestly. If everything is perfect - like they have no runny poo, then I'm sure they are great. But in my household someone at some point has an upset tummy here and there so it just gets all gummed up.
    ferocity302

Answer by ferocity302 at 10:43 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• My aunt had one that she bought off tv, I'm sorry, I don't remember the name. It was around $175, and the kitty litter was really expensive. She said there wasn't much of a difference, because she still had to empty the pan, and it was just too expensive to use.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:54 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I have eight cats and one of the original Littermaid boxes. I love it.

I do NOT use the little containers that come with it (teeny things would be filled every few hours lol). What I did was put together a box with an opening under where those containers are supposed to fit, and I place a regular garbage bag in (I use two of the actual containers with the bottoms removed). I change out the bag every other day or so.

I've read reviews that the newer ones are 'junk' compared to the original ... but I have no way of knowing. There is also a guy that has a repair manual for all of the Littermaid boxes for around $12.

I've considered getting one of the 'flushing' ones once our home is built ... still mulling that one over.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 8:15 PM on Aug. 1, 2010