I started my son on milk.....for about 2 weeks now and the last 3 days he has like water poop and it smells VERY BAD!!!! anything ideas why this is happening?

MaMaTreZZa

Asked by MaMaTreZZa at 8:17 AM on Aug. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• So, prior to now the switch wasn't a problem? He could have a stomach virus. Mayoclinic.com advice on little kids and diarrhea:

In children, particularly young children, diarrhea can quickly lead to dehydration. Call your doctor if your child's diarrhea doesn't improve within 24 hours or if your baby:

* Hasn't had a wet diaper in three or more hours
    * Has a fever of more than 102 F (39 C)
    * Has bloody or black stools
    * Has a dry mouth or cries without tears
    * Is unusually sleepy, drowsy, unresponsive or irritable
    * Has a sunken appearance to the abdomen, eyes or cheeks
    * Has skin that doesn't flatten if pinched and released
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 8:23 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• SWasson gives very good advice.
    If he has been drinking millk for two weeks now and just began to have a problem, it probably isn't the milk. It could be a virus or something else causing the problem.
    My one son suffered from dehydration when he was younger. It was very scary. Please keep an eye out for this. SWasson lists all the symptoms. if this occurs, please go to the ER
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:27 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Well he doesnt have any of the other things listed....He is peeing, eating, no vomiting. Sleeping well....Happy its just the diarrhea , no fever.....I have been giving him pedialyte incase in replace of his juice bottle.....But he goes like 3 - 4 times a day and nothing else....I have givin him Yobaby in the past cheese ice cream as the DR said I could...Nothing happen....I also am mixing the milk with his formula.....He is on nutramigen also its for a cow milk alergie although he as only put on it because he had VERY BAD ACID REFLUX......Not for anything to do with a issue with cows milk......Still very confused
    MaMaTreZZa

Comment by MaMaTreZZa (original poster) at 8:35 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• He COULD be lactose intolerant, or his body isn't quite ready for whole cow's milk! Maybe try a lowfat milk to see if it's just too much protein in his system, or try soy or rice milk.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:05 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Babies under 12 mo are never supposed to have cow's milk, it can make them sick or even kill them. That's why formula was invented! A baby under 12 mo should get about 32 oz of formula a day.

After 12 mo you can wean from formula and your child doesn't need milk. End of problem. Cow's milk is for cows. In most cultures people don't drink cow's milk. For many reasons my children never had a glass of milk. They are now adults. I haven't had a glass since I was 13 and diagnosed with lactose intollerance and milk allergy.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:22 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Thanks for the advice Gaill but the there is alot of good that comes from milk...Also every Doctor in the united states starts a child on milk at 11 months mixing it with formula...And 90% of formula is milk based...Says so right on the can.....Futher more Dairy has cows milk in it...Cheese, ice cream Etc.....As far as it killing them I guess Ice cream can kill him and cheese and baby yogurt....That says you can start giving your baby at 6 months....The milk in actual milk and in dairy is the same, as far as effect goes. I am sorry to hear that you have lactose intollerance but doesnt mean that is bad for everyone.......But turns out he is fine....Just have loose stool from his first tooth coming in
    MaMaTreZZa

Comment by MaMaTreZZa (original poster) at 4:38 PM on Aug. 1, 2010