spanking is it ok or not ok

is ok to spank if so what age should you start spaking your child??

tck32

Asked by tck32 at 9:23 PM on Oct. 3, 2008 in General Parenting

• It's a personal decision and nobody except you can decide to spank your child or not.
    I personally don't think it solves anything, and I believe in alternative, non-physical forms of punishment.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:24 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I agree that its your own personal decision. But you have to realize that children under 3 are still young and see you as a role model. If mommy hits it must be ok. Thats the way ive been looking at it because my daughter mimics everything i do. She even helps fold laundry and shes not even 2! lol Obviously your are not going to hit them to hurt them. So what is the point?
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 9:29 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• depends on what is being punished. I believe it spanking... but not in ever situation. The punishment should fit the crime! Time out's don't work on everything and don't threaten it if you aren't going to follow through w/ it. Use your judgement not what everybody else thinks! And don't let others tell you it is child abuse b/c it isn't. Your are punishing your child... it even says in the bible... spare the rod, spoil the child... which means if you don't punish your kids they will be spoiled. So use your judgement. I have spanked my DD since she was about 1. Not hard and on the diaper. But now she gets into fits and will start kicking and she will get a pop on the butt for that (usually when her diaper is being changed so her diaper is already off). Not hard, but enough to scare her and make her stop and let her know that this action won't be tolerated.

Coastiegirl96

Answer by Coastiegirl96 at 9:29 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I don't believe in spanking. I believe in giving one good firm swat on the butt to get their attention. But that's only if everything else has failed. It really doesn't happen very often and I've noticed that the kids only get to the point of hysteria when they're hungry or tired.
    faile

Answer by faile at 9:58 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I do not spank unless it's very serious. Very serious. Otherwise I use alternatives. And to be honest, I'm kinda scared to spank, even when it is serious because so many people scream abuse...I dont want someone thinking I abuse my son.
    Anonymous

• I SPANK, POP, SWAT OR WHATEVER YOU WANT TO CALL IT. CALL IT WHAT YOU WANT ~ FAILE ~ IT IS THE SAME THING. MY DAUGHTER DOES NOT DO TIME-OUT. SHE JUST DOESNT AND IT ONLY MAKES THINGS WORSE. I HAVE NO PROBLEM GIVING HER A SWAT ON HER DIAPER. THE ONLY TIME I HAVE POPPED HER ON HER BARE BUTT WAS WHEN SHE KEPT TAKING HER DIAPER OFF CAUSE SHE POOPED ON MY FLOOR. 2 TIMES OF THAT AND SHE NOLONGER TAKES OFF HER DIAPER. SHE CRIED FOR A MINUTE, BUT IT WAS MORE CAUSE HER FEELINGS WERE HURT. EVERYBODY IS DIFFERENT THOUGH, AND SO IS EVERY CHILD. I PERSONALLY SEE THE MOMS IN THE STORE THAT ARE TRYING THE TALK CALMY ETC. AND THEIR CHILD IS BEHAVING INSANE. SOMETIMES I WISH I COULD HAVE THAT KIDS FOR 1 DAY AND I BET THEY WOULDNT BE ACTING LIKE THAT ~ ONLY CAUSE HER METHOD WASNT WORKING SO I ASSUME A POP PROBABLY WOULD.
    alicia_4307

Answer by alicia_4307 at 10:27 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I would try to come up with something interesting and effective to teach them not to do whatever it was i didn't want them doing or if I wanted them to do something they didn't want to do (like pick up their toys) I'd make it sound like it was fun and a game. LOL, they fell for it every time. I'd make things a challenge once they were older. We'd race to see who got done the quickest. I'd start and they would start and I'd slow down then stop but they didn't notice. LOL, I loved that one. That way they won and I won bc I wasn't really doing anything. I have 3 children who are adults now. I never spanked 2 of them. That middle one just had a mind of her own. I only spanked if it was necessary. I didn't spank for trivial things. I also gave her plenty of warnings and tried my best not to have to do it but if I said I was going to do it then I had to follow through. Say what you mean and mean what you say was my motto.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:26 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Lets put it this way, would you like to be spanked? If you did something wrong, would it be ok for your husband to spank you? I was spanked as a child, and I don't remember the "leson" being taught, but I do remember the pain.
    ambie1983

Answer by ambie1983 at 2:47 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• i was spanked as a child up until i was 17..my parents even had a wooden paddle for me..i never learned anything from being spanked..all i remember was the way it made me feel, made me feel like hitting back, there were many times after i was finished getting spanked that i was SOOO angry for them hitting me i would slam my door repeatedly, i would throw shoes at my walls, i would break stuff..it never worked on me,all i remember them saying was "your attitude sucks..change it!!!" they never explained to me why, or what i was doing wrong etc...with my daughter now (4) i always explain to her the situation and how its not nice acting a certain way etc. i try not to spank her,sometimes it just gets outta control that i do one smack on the butt and she smartens up..i never hit more than once..shes mostly a good kid, probably only got smakced 5-6 times in her life..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:27 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• ive always taped there hand,not hard though,i would do it as soon as they know what no means.by doing that it only hurts there feelings.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:55 AM on Oct. 4, 2008