My daughter is five months and I've started her on cereal but I want to try her on fruits and veggies how long between trying new ones should I wait

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:47 AM on Aug. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i was always told to do one a week to see if you get a reaction then you would know which one your baby could be allergic to
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 8:58 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• You should wait 1 week between different foods. For example, you started cereal say Saturday, then you should wait until next Saturday before trying something new. My ped told me after cereal start veggies because if you start fruits first, children tend not to eat their veggies. It worked! My children like veggies to this day. Before moving on to a new food, always check it out with your ped and www.aap.org.
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 8:59 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• This website helped me through all the beginning food issues www.wholesomebabyfood.com it has a chart on introducing the foods and it also has recipes on how to make the food. It is so easy to do, I am no betty crocker :)
    2teachers

Answer by 2teachers at 9:49 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• You don't have to give cereal or wait. you can avoid the most common allergy foods like wheat, dairy. strawberries etc. Avocado, sweet potato, butternut squash, ripe pear, banana..are all good to start with though you don't need to puree it. If your baby hasn't lost the tongue thrust reflex desingned to keep solids out (purees bypass his failsafe), can't sit up unassisted, and isn't mimicking chewing then digestion isn't quite mature enough to avoid digestive upsets. baby led introduction to solids

You don't need special recipes unless you want to do it. Table food samples are fine.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:06 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• The big thing in medicine now is evidence based practice, doing things based on research not on what's always been done. To make recommendations they do big studies of studies. They look at all of the studies that have been done and then organizations make recommendations. The latest on infant feeding:

Exclusive breastfeeding for at or around 6 mo. Complementary feeding with breastfeeding remaining the main source of nutrition for 12 mo. Formula fed babies can start solids at 4 mo and formula should remain main source of nutrition for 12 mo (around 32 oz a day). Solids are for nutrition, not practice.

No cow's milk or honey the first year. No need for baby foods. No evidence to support waiting between foods. No evidence to support waiting on certain foods (including peanuts).

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:32 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• 1 week is reccomended
    MsHouseWife

Answer by MsHouseWife at 12:34 PM on Aug. 1, 2010