Baby not getting sufficient sleep in our bedroom???

We have a very light sleeper who just turned 1. We have a small apartment and so she has slept in our room, in her crib, about a foot away from our bed since she was born. Were she sleeping through the night, I'd have no problem with this. But, she's not...not even close. She wakes up multiple times and many times I feel she wakes up because she hears us rustling the blankets. My husband almost always gets up to get water, use the bathroom, etc, and always wakes her. We have two choices: We can put her downstairs, which would mean going up and down during the night (of course, we won't be as quick to respond to her if she's on a different floor!), or I can move pack and play in my large bathroom...which seems a little gross to me, but it's right next to our room. I often have to put her down for a nap at 8 am which tells me she did not get a good night sleep. We have been dealing with this for months and something must change

onefootforward

Asked by onefootforward at 9:35 AM on Aug. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Sounds like you might need to move baby out of your room. I don't think downstairs would be that far, do you have a monitor? You might be surprised how much better she sleeps once she is out of your room.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 9:41 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• i would put her downstairs. its really not that far and its ok if it takes a little time to get to her at nite it giver her some time to self soothe. get a monitor if you dont already have one and for your own confort just try it out for a couple nites and see how things go. you might find she will sleep alot better and she wont need a nap so early in the morning. and she just may sleep the whole nite through.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 9:47 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Why don't you put her downstairs in the crib, and set up a baby monitor--preferably a video/TV one, so you can see and hear her--and respond when necessary.

If she was always a good sleeper to this point, I'm sure she'll resume her good sleeping habits.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:50 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• i would definately move her out of the rooM! Get a monitor you won't beleive how much better she'll sleep and you'll sleep with them in different rooms.
    Mommy2JoshNJake

Answer by Mommy2JoshNJake at 9:51 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

•  

It's normal for a baby to wake at night. It sounds like your husband doesn't even sleep through the night!

Human mothers have always breastfed and slept with their babies. If the baby woke and wasn't touching the mother the baby would cry to alert the mom for protection. This is how humans have survived and it is hardwired in baby's brains. People in most places in the world today breastfeed and sleep with their babies. It is normal for baby to wake until they are 3 or older. No matter where your baby is your baby may wake.

Many people sleep with their babies and they are bothered by parents moving. It's not safe to have the baby downstairs or in a bathroom.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:52 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• she needs her own room.

don't put it off just because you might have to go downstairs sometimes. You might be quite pleasantly surprised by her not waking up in the night anymore.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 9:53 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends having young babies in your room. They don't think that parents will wake the baby. If young babies are bothered by parents it doesn't seem like older babies would be bothered. If you don't co-sleep having your baby in your room would be the next best thing.

Pack and Plays are not safe or recommended for overnight sleep. They are to be used when an adult is supervising. Besides the safety issue you don't want your baby sleeping on that thin mattress.

Just because she takes a nap doesn't mean she doesn't get enough sleep. You don't say if she is breastfeed but it is common for breastfed babies to fall asleep after their first morning nursing. All three of my boys did even at that age and I could actually lay them down and get some things done.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:01 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• You are getting "American" suggestions; babies need their own room, use a monitor, let the baby self-sooth, ect. When making decisions about your baby it is good to think about what mothers and babies have traditionally done. What we have been doing for the last 100 years in the US with babies is a huge uncontrolled experiment that isn't turning out so well. We have problems with depression, divorce, addictions, obesity, and other problems that could be related to early child rearing.

In most countries a 12 mo wouldn't have her own room. Mothering is about togetherness not about monitors and self-soothing. The baby/toddler that has it's attachment needs met when they are young can blossom into an independent child at their own pace.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:11 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Seeing as how your child is one, I think it is entirely acceptable at this point for him/her to have their own room. Downstairs is perfectly okay so long as you have a monitor. I would suggest a video monitor. I have one that I bought from Walmart online and I LOVE it.

Regardless of what the experts say, I think *MOST* Mothers only keep their newborn babies in their room in a bassinet for the first three months or so.

But there does come a point when it is important for MOM to get a full night's sleep. If you're not sleeping well and your husband is not sleeping well, you are not doing your child any favors. Most likely you will be less patient and be much more quick to anger.

You just have to weight the pros and cons and decide what is going to be best for all involved. Seeing that your child is a year old, your rustling around at night may be disturbing her. It's hard to say...
    Megan2686

Answer by Megan2686 at 12:17 PM on Aug. 1, 2010