How do I learn to start telling my co-workers 'no' when they ask me to work for them?

I only work part time. I have been working a lot this summer on the weekends so I said I would not work any in Aug. Well, I have already agreed to 2! Now DH is pissed because he had planned a fishing trip for one of the days I agreed to work. I had even asked him if he had any plans that day but he is blaming me and calling me the F'ing whip boy. How do I make everyone happy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:39 AM on Aug. 1, 2010 in Money & Work

• Your co workers are getting upset because they have gotten used to you picking up their slack. They will get over it. I used to be like this and when I finally got sick of it and began saying no, they were put off at first, but they soon learned that I would not always say yes anymore and they began to respect that.
    I thought I was helping work harmony, but that really had nothing to do with it. It was more that I was no longer making their life very easy.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:58 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• For 1 your co workers don't live with you, your husband does and he's the only one you should be focused on making happy and not your Co workers.
    So the next time your co workers want you to work just think about how happy your hubby will be when you say No to them.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 9:44 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I agree with the others!! Tell them you have child care issues...your husband is away and you need to care for your child. Tell them you have other plans, tell them you have a doctor's appointment or errands to run.

DO NOT feel guilty because you were unable to make THEIR lives easier!!! :O)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:00 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Does your boss realize you're constantly being asked to work for others? Talk to your boss. In the meanwhile, say something like, "oh, we're going out of town" or "we have a family even going on that day". Or plain them the truth.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 11:23 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• "I really can't work those hours, I have another obligation."

Answer by Bmat at 9:41 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• The only person you should be making happy is your husband and family. If your Co workers get upset than oh well. You just kindly tell them you can not work those hours. If they get all upset just tell them that you do your job and that is all that is expected of you. You have to stand your ground and not let other walk all over you!
    lil_Army_Wife05

Answer by lil_Army_Wife05 at 9:51 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• yeah, then they get mad. I have to work witht hem the rest of the week pissed. I work in a small building with all women the hormones are ridiculous.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:42 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• You can't make everyone happy, and it's not your job to do so. Do what makes YOU happy. All you ever had to say is "no, not in August."
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 10:46 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• SWasson is right ... stop trying to make everybody happy. Do what's best for you.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 10:57 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• This is something to discuss with your manager

Answer by rkoloms at 8:43 PM on Aug. 1, 2010