Asthma and Toddlers

My daughter is 14 months old and she was "diagnosed" with asthma. Her peditrician isn't certain it is asthma, but they have ruled out other illnesses involving her lungs. Anyone else go through this or know anything? We are giving her a nebulizer treatment twice daily and we go back for a check-up in 2 weeks. Should we see a specialist? I'm just really bummed right now.... I feel really bad because I breastfed for 12 months and she had no problems and then I stopped and now this happened... BLAH! I know it's not my fault and not the worst thing in the world, but I still feel awful.

kaylan010

Asked by kaylan010 at 9:59 AM on Aug. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would check with a specialist, if in 2 weeks they still think she has asthma. My son was diagnosed with it as well, but since he only gets it when he is sick I don't worry about it unless he is sick. She may out grow it as well. I was told this happens a lot when they get asthma at this age.
    Slieurance

Answer by Slieurance at 4:45 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Do you have her on cow's milk? She may be allergic. Dairy can cause inflammation in asthmatics if there is a sensitivity present. I would have the doctor run a battery of allergy tests (they do it with one vial of blood now) so you can stop treating and start preventing. Also, I would make sure there isn't any mold around your house (wet walls, etc)
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:19 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Breastfeeding doesn't diminish your risks of acquiring asthma. It is a genetic disorder. I come from a very large family of asthmatics but among 3 generations I am the worse. I would seek a specialist and you can do as many as 6 treatments a day maybe more. Sometimes I have to do them hourly and it just depends on why I am wheezing. I wish you luck but it really isn't anything that you could have prevented. Just remember that a child can still live a very full life with this condition.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:27 PM on Aug. 1, 2010