Were Muhammad, Joseph Smith and Paul all tricked by a being of light?

While I was thus in the act of calling upon God, I discovered a light appearing in my room, which continued to increase until the room was lighter than at noonday, when immediately a personage appeared at my bedside, standing in the air, for his feet did not touch the floor. ~Joseph Smith http://www.lds.org/library/display/0,4945,104-1-3-6,00.html

It is on Mount Hira, according to tradition, that the archangel Gabriel appears to Muhammad. He describes later how he seemed to be grasped by the throat by a luminous being, who commanded him to repeat the words of God. http://www.historyworld.net/wrldhis/PlainTextHistories.asp?historyid=aa55

Now as he journeyed he approached Damascus, and suddenly a light from heaven flashed about him. 4: And he fell to the ground and heard a voice saying to him, "Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me?" http://www.beliefnet.com/Faiths/Christianity/2004/03/Pauls-Co

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 10:08 AM on Aug. 1, 2010 in Religious Debate

• well...if a being of light started choking me id do whatever the hell it told me to do...that would be uber scary!

its possible that these occurrences really happened (especially if you believe in ghosts/spirits), but its also just as possible that these men made the whole thing up so as to make their "new" religions look more credible (or to steal a religion). we cant possibly know for certain, and thats where faith steps in.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 9:41 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Maybe they were mentally ill and heard voices. Who knows?
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 2:58 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Guess all you have to do is say an angel came to you and told you so and so and millions of people will follow you.

The visions IMO were not divinely inspired, but it is so obvious that you are only asking to mock others beliefs. Try better next time.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 4:56 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Any thing is possible. Shoot I've seen ghost after being told my whole childhood they were imaginary. Could they have been some thing other than ghosts? Sure. No body can fully explain the unknown.
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 5:46 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• tricked how? for what purpose?
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:40 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• The difference is Paul was asked a question and heard the voice of the Almighty God. Joseph Smith saw a being and what that being looked like was not fully explained! The one I think was truly a deception was Muhammed... Angels do not force anyone to repeat the words of the Lord nor do they grab anyone as described in this story.
    Joseph Smith saw something but what he did with it made all the difference in the world... He ended up writting a seperate book to be used with his words not God's in it along with the bible.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:32 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Well shan, some think that what Paul doesn't go along with the bible either!
    IhartU

Comment by IhartU (original poster) at 2:38 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• bjane01... could be. I think that also, Muhammad and J. Smith saw how easy it was for Paul to make up a story, gain control of the new church and basically found Christianity that way and they decided to take the same route using a similar story. Look how many people believed them! Guess all you have to do is say an angel came to you and told you so and so and millions of people will follow you.

IhartU

Comment by IhartU (original poster) at 3:04 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• 2tinyhineys... think what you want, I can't stop you. But know this- you do NOT know me, so the next time you'd like to jump to conclusions about why I ask a question, please feel free to PM me and psycholanalyse me as much as you want. At least then you'd have the correct information to determine my reasoning instead of jumping to asinine conclusions.

IhartU

Comment by IhartU (original poster) at 7:01 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Thank you okmanders that is what it' s all about, faith.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 PM on Aug. 1, 2010