Billboard war in my state-"One Nation....."

I am going to TRY to post the link.....if I can't do it can someone help me?!!

http://mobile.latimes.com/wap/news/text.jsp?sid=294&nid=17582425&cid=16686&scid=-1&ith=0&title=Nation

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 10:13 AM on Aug. 1, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 10:15 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 10:15 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• LOL thanks darkfaery....I can't seem to do it when posting the actual question! Frustrating!
    sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 10:16 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• hey that sign is where I used to live! LOL

I think it's silly to waste that money on a stupid billboard war. The churches could be helping people in need with that money. I'm sure the atheist organization could find something more productive to do with the money too.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 10:17 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• to get it to work on an actual question you'll have to use HTML code for links
    It's not hard, but if you don't want to learn HTML, just keep doing it in the first response
    ;o)
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 10:19 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I have to agree with the silly waste of money. Sure, it makes a point, but what's the point? I mean, who is this really going to affect? What does it change? Once again I think it comes down to actions over words... If you want people to look at the Atheist movement in the same light as they do other religions, then you have to treat it the same way that other religions do... Don't put money in to a billboard, start a charity or use it for good... That's when people start to notice. Putting up a sign just makes you look like an ass... But people would be more than shocked, and willing to talk about it, if they found out an Atheist groups was helping the homeless, aiding battered women or just getting together to clean up the earth... One says LOOK AT ME the other says WATCH ME...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:44 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• "The pledge was first published in 1892. No reference to God was in the original document even thought the author was a Christian minister. In 1923, the words “The Flag of the United States” replaced “my flag.” Still, there was no reference to “God”. It was not until 1942 that Congress officially recognized the Pledge of Allegiance. No effort was made to include the word “God.” A year later, 1943, the Supreme Court ruled that school children could not be compelled to recite the pledge. The Court was protecting the personal, religious, and conscience convictions of each student and their families.

cont...

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:48 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Today, only 25 of our 50 states have laws encouraging the recitation of the pledge in their classrooms. The words “under God” were added to the pledge on June 14, 1954. The original, secular, patriotic pledge of 1892 just wasn’t good enough as an honest expression of patriotic support for the United States."

here is the link:   http://www.auok.org/under_god.htm

**********

I REALLY do not see the problem witth the one without God...I think it's a stupid thing to get crazy over!  what's wrong with just saying united anyhow?  Honestly, the money they use to put up the ones WITH God on them could be used elsehwere donchya think?   anything to argue about I suppose...

charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:52 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• *and Sabrina is right- they coulld actually both jsut skip the billboards alltogether and do something that MATTERS!
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:53 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• as much as i love "1 nation under God"... It was only added as above has said in 1954.... It was added during a time of war..
    The original: (1892)

I pledge allegiance to my Flag,
    and to the Republic for which it stands:
    one Nation indivisible,
    With Liberty and Justice for all.

(1923):
    I pledge allegiance to the
    Flag of the United States,
    one Nation indivisible,
    (1924)
    I pledge allegiance to the Flag
    of the United States of America,
    one Nation indivisible,
    With Liberty and Justice for all.

(1954)
    flag2.gif (8316 bytes)
    I pledge allegiance to the Flag
    of the United States of America,
    one Nation under God, indivisible,
    With Liberty and Justi
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 11:06 AM on Aug. 1, 2010