can a baby survive?

If they are still in the womb 4 days after the water breaks? I am really worried about my friend and her baby who is doing a home birth.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:15 AM on Aug. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Doesn't she have a mid-wife? If anything goes wrong the mid-wife has to contact the hospital I'm pretty sure. Hope all is well. Labor for 4 days... yikes!
    MeghMirab

Answer by MeghMirab at 4:25 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I understood it as once the water broke the baby really needed to appear soon as outside bacteria and infection can set in and get to the baby.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:18 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• yes. there is a slight risk of infection, but your friend is probably wise enough to watch for signs of infectionhttp://doulamomma.wordpress.com/2009/07/22/when-your-water-breaks-before-labor-begins/
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 7:45 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Yep, the amniotic fluid constantly replenishes itself. As long as an infection hasn't developed there is nothing to worry about in having the water broken.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 10:18 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• After your water breaks you are more prone to infection. If that's under control it should be fine. Did it break completely or just leaked? I know with my 2nd, I was leaking for appx 4 days before I realized it was my water leaking and he was born fine.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 10:20 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• they can survive technically, but there is serious risk of infection and other problems! if her water has broken, she needs to actually see a doctor.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 10:20 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• well is possible because the fluid is continuosly replinished but the risk of infection goes up. 4 days seems like a long time she should go to the hospital. besides that why would you want to be in labor for 4 days.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 10:20 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• My waters leaked with my middle son and they made stay in the hospital for about a week until they determined that his lungs were developed enough then they induced me. I wasn't in labor for that long. The fluid did replinish but they kept me because of the risk of infection.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 10:28 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Possibilty of infection increased the longer they are in the womb after the water breaks. Does your friend have a midwife or someone who is helping with this home birth>
    MsHouseWife

Answer by MsHouseWife at 12:29 PM on Aug. 1, 2010