Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tax - freelance journalist

Ladies, I need some advise. I'm going to be helping my brother out (he's giving me power of attorney). Let me tell you alittle bit about him He lives in Latin America. He's a US citizen and works for an American company - he's a freelance journalist. My question is..does he have to file taxes here? He did file taxes in Latin America. I've spoken to a few accountants and they tell me he does not because he does not live here and as long as he filed taxes over there he should be fine. I'm just confused. And. Wondering if you lovely ladies can help me out. Yes he's rec'd a letter from the IRS, so I wanted to know what to tell them when I called. Thank You and God Bless!

Answer Question

Asked by rosadnr at 10:21 AM on Aug. 1, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 5 (61 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • If the IRS letters say he owes taxes then, yes, I would say he owes taxes.

    Answer by HotMama330 at 11:20 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

  • It really depends on how much time, during the year in question, he lived in the US. I strongly recommend making an appointment with the IRS. They are actually nice, well trained people.

    Answer by rkoloms at 2:23 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

  • He's lives in latin america for about 10 yrs and he just started working for an american company. the IRS letter doesn't say he owes the letter says to call them to determine if you need to file. Since we asked a few accountants and they said he didn't need to file. I was just wondering if anyone here knew anything. Or could give me advise of what they've gone through. Much appreciated!

    Comment by rosadnr (original poster) at 8:26 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

  • I would simply go to your local IRS office and check with them. It's the only way to know for sure.

    Answer by m-avi at 12:31 PM on Aug. 3, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.