Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Signs of ADD/ADHD

My nephew is 6 and has to do kindergarten all over. he never listens to us and will not sit still, not even for a fun game or other activity. WE cant even take him out to eat with out him jumping up in down on the booth. Is he just an active child or are these signs of a problem? Also how do I kindly tell his mom that she needs to do something about this. Its getting really bad to where I dont want my kids around their own cousin anymore. : (


Asked by josephsgirl86 at 10:37 AM on Aug. 1, 2010 in Kids' Health

Level 8 (250 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (4)
  • My son was diagnosed when he was only 6 and they put him on Ritalin. What a mistake that was. I totally blame that ____ for causing him to go into deep depression. DEPRESSION at age 6, come on. If I were you and I had to do it all over again, I would take him to a Chiroprator that practices the correct way that a Chiropractor should, please go to He uses the "WELLNESS APPROACH". He will let you know if there are any practicing in your area, if you choose to go that way. Also, alot of it is in the child's nutrition. I had a friend who's son was diagnosed with it and she desiced agianst the med's and totally took him off of sugar. He was completely fine after that. Also, sugar is a bad thing for anybody. Hope everything turns out well for you. I do not miss those days, what so ever.

    Answer by cgw522 at 12:34 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

  • At 2.5 it can be put down to hyperness, at 6, it could be more.

    My question is--does his mom discipline him? Sometimes it's not ADD as much as ineffective parenting. If mom truely sets rules and expectations and provides the child with structure and he still has these issues, he might have ADHD. If there are not rules, expectations or structure, it could be that the child just does not know any better.

    Answer by layh41407 at 11:27 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

  • my 2.5 year old is just like that I think it is just over hyperness maybe

    Answer by mommy5409 at 10:56 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

  • The best thing you can do is get him tested - if he does have ADD/ADHD, he can get an IEP (Individual Educational Plan) for his school, so they are aware of the situation and can tailor his classroom experience to help him learn/behave better. I'd start with a children's psychologist and go from there.

    Answer by Scuba at 11:17 AM on Aug. 1, 2010