What is the best way to get 8 month old to sleep in his crib after sleeping in carseat because of acid reflux?

I am trying to get my 8 month old to sleep in his crib. Last night he slept in there for a few hours and then woke up screaming. Im wondering if he wakes up like that because he is teething or something to do with being in his crib.

austinsmomma111

Asked by austinsmomma111 at 10:37 AM on Aug. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sleeping in a car seat may help with acid reflux but is not recommended because the baby's head is so heavy it can drop and cut off breathing and the baby can die, it's not good for the development of the internal organs, the baby can have problems with head development, and the baby can get something that is called container syndrome. It's a development issue when babies spend too much time in containers like car seats, other seats, swings, strollers, ect.

I don't know a lot about it. There can be head, neck, and development issues. It seems like this could affect ability to sleep flat. You can find out more by doing a google search.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:16 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I know that sleeping in a car seat is not recommended but for a child with severe acid reflux I find more comfort in knowing that he is sleeping in a somewhat up right position. He has NO problems with laying flat to sleep. I can co sleep with him and he is JUST FINE!
    austinsmomma111

Comment by austinsmomma111 (original poster) at 11:29 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• UNfortunately, it's one of those things that you will have to suffer through for a few days until he becomes accustomed. When he wakes up screaming, just comfort him and try your best to get him to go back to sleep in his crib. If you worry that the acid reflux still might be an issue, I would suggest one of those wedges. They make ones that are elevated slightly. Mine was a life-saver with my first child! If you worry that it is because he is teething, I would try a bit of tylenol and rub some Orajel on his gums. They also make all natural teething tablets that I have bought at Walmart and tried before. They didn't work for me but they may for you!
    Megan2686

Answer by Megan2686 at 12:30 PM on Aug. 1, 2010