What are the common reasons of miscarriage?

I'm just wondering things I shouldn't do in order to prevent miscarriage.
Also, what about laying on you stomach?
What are other things?

Ashley1872

Asked by Ashley1872 at 10:42 AM on Aug. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I absolutely disagree that misscarriages are down to hormones and genetics and there is nothing you can do. You are destined to miscarriage due to genes..you are just more likely to predisposed to it but that doesn't mean you will have one.

Miscarriage is more likely to be a result of a stressful lifestyle, being overweight and diet as well as a whole host of other things that can affect the well being and health of the mother. Life circumstances and the way we eat, I think are huge ones. Most people are really stressed out.

I don't deny that in some cases there isn't really a reason but this is only because we don't understand what our body is trying to tell us and why it has had to miscarriage.

If I wanted to avoid miscarriage - I would try to make the pregnancy as stress-free as possible and I would also be careful with what I ate and make sure I still lightly exercised as well as rested whenever my body needed.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 10:57 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Miscarriages are mostly caused by hormones or genetics, there is little you can do to cause or prevent one.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 10:44 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Oh, and no, laying on your stomach doesn't cause one.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 10:45 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• As the previous poster said, miscarriage is almost always something wrong with the pregnancy itself, not anything the mother did (or didn't) do. Your OB will tell you things to avoid (catbox, hot tubs, raw meats & fish), just use common sense.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 10:48 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Defective implantation, baby not developing right... some studies show those are the most common causes. As you can see, nothing you can do to prevent it. Other common causes are hormonal imbalances (which you can sometimes detect if you chart your cycles), blood clotting disorders and serious addiction problems in the mother.

The best thing you can do to prevent miscarriage is to be in good health before you concieve, eat well, exercise, get enough folic acid (which can prevent up to 75% of neural tube defects), and concieve with a man who is also healthy (healthy sperm makes healthy babies).
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:57 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• The most important thing to remember is that we really don't know what causes a miscarriage. Yet almost every mother ho has suffered one feels guilt for it. Of course you want to know what to avoid so you can keep your unborn child as safe as possible, but do keep in mind that anytime a miscarriage occurs, it is often for no known reason and the mother is not to blame.

As for your actual question...
    Try not to get bonked in the belly, but even that isn't a guarantee one way or the other - I got bonked pretty bad with a boogie board when I was in my 1st or 2nd trimester and it didn't cause any harm (thank goodness).
    Don't drink tons of caffeine. That's all the concrete advice I can give you. Just check with your doctor, keep yourself healthy, stay safe, and be good to yourself. :o)

Congratulations on your pregnancy!
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 10:48 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Many women continue stressful jobs while pregnant unfortunately so I think they need to try and - cope -with it best way they can or
    go on maternity leave early. I am not sure how it works in the States but we get like 39 weeks of maternity leave.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 10:58 AM on Aug. 1, 2010