Adaptation vs Evolution

As a believer in Evolution I have done my best to completely understand the process and how it works in addition to - not against - creation beliefs. However, this came up here at home and I wanted some other views. I am the ONLY one who believe in Evolution in any form here, but I'm also the only one who understands it.

We were talking about why African Americans are so much better suited for the NFL than Caucasian Americans are. Physically they are built differently, their bones are denser, their knees are different for speed and so on... My mother says this is all part of their Adaptation to living in Africa and living the lifestyle they did. Yet she doesn't think Evolution has anything to do with it...

My question is this... How can one hold a belief in Adaptation and yet disbelieve Evolution? Adaptation IS basic Evolution just on a smaller scale. It takes 100s generations rather than 1000s of generations...

Thoughts?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 11:19 AM on Aug. 1, 2010 in Religious Debate

• There is no talking to people that are so closed minded that they don't "believe" in evolution.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:24 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• My simple question is how can someone who disbelieves Evolution at all, have a belief in adaptation and then think they don't overlap somewhere?

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 11:30 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• yes, all the little adaptations over time add up to the major evolutions we see.

I do not understand why creationists would believe that every other species can evolve except humans

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3103/2694142082_417d8d4070.jpg?v=0

DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 11:32 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I actually believe in both...
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:33 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• "Evolution is the change in the inherited traits of a population of organisms through successive generations."

"Adaptation is the evolutionary process whereby a population becomes better suited to its habitat."

Have her look up the definitions. Adaptation is evolution. How can someone that disbelieves in evolution believe in adaptation? They don't know the definition of adaptation. They are closed minded.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:39 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• lovingangels - I believe in both as well... I believe in Creator Guided Evolution. But because of this belief I understand that one does not cancel the other out, instead they compliment each other very well...

I tried to explain to her that when a creature adapts to it's environment and then adapts again and again.. The end result is no longer the same creature as the one that started the process.. This is evolution... She said NO, it's still the same creature - it's just different now. WHAT? If it's different - IT'S NOT THE SAME!! I thought we covered this stuff in kindergarten!

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 11:51 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I believe in evolution but some people who are creationists only accept the adaptation idea because they say there is no fossil evidence for species evolving into another completely different species.

In other words, you can have lots of different looking dogs from a wolf to a chihuahua through adaptation and breeding, but a dog can't become a elephant even over a long period of time.   

Again this isn't my belief  I'm just adding to the discussion.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 12:30 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Evolution is a combination of genetic mutation, natural selection and adaption.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 2:16 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• You could tell her this...people with certain traits in a population are better suited for their environment. The people are less likely to die and more likely to procreate. Because of this the trait becomes more previlant in that population. That is micro-evolution. Micro-evolution turns to big changes over time. I think it is too hard for some people to wrap their brain around one animal turning into another. It is bigger than some people can imagine.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 2:56 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Adaptation is part of Evolution. It's not really a vs thing. Obviously your mother's knowledge of evolution is lacking
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 5:10 PM on Aug. 1, 2010