Any advice on living on my own?

For the first time ever! With my son of course. At the end of September I will be moving into my own apt. After always living with my parents, husband, or the 2 live-ins jobs I had. I really can't cook and I get really scared at nights. I'm considering getting a gun...

fairyinabubble

Asked by fairyinabubble at 11:40 AM on Aug. 1, 2010 in Just for Fun

• No gun. You or your son are more likely to be hurt by your gun or your ex than by strangers. Maybe a baseball bat.

I've been a single mom for 23 years raising 3 sons, most of that time in public housing (section 8). You can live your life in fear or lock your doors and get over it. It isn't worth living in fear. Don't have things worth stealing or don't let people know you do. Neighbors are the ones that wil be robbing you.

What do you mean you can't cook? Learn. It is something everyone should know how to do. Teach yourself or find a woman to teach you. Don't handicap yourself like that. Learn now before you are on your own. Go to Goodwill or a used bookstore and get some basic cookbooks, repair books, books about living on your own.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:54 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I would get a tazer gun
    VoteForThiago

Answer by VoteForThiago at 11:41 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• TRy to make your neighbor friends so you can watch out for each other
    VoteForThiago

• its hard! i am a scardey cat too at night! my hubby always says "what makes you so special that they want you and not the person next door" but i am still afraid! and i have lived out of my parents house for 10 years! but what i try to think to myself is if someone is coming in they are getting what they can grab and fast thats it! they dont want me they want my stuff! it doesnt always help but i try! i dont think tazers are legal so look into that! but you have to have a permit for a gun and make sure you teach your son about them and i would store it somewhere high and where he would never look. in an apartment you should be fine! try not to stress the more you stress the less sleep you will get....trust me!
    babymaddy

Answer by babymaddy at 11:54 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Independence Day- something to look forward to- You'll get to live life just as you please. No, do not get a gun- Guns and inexperienced folks are just not a good or safe mix.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 8:27 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Sorry your marriage is ending. Give the little guy some extra loving he'll need it. What ever you do don't get a gun!! If you are afraid get yourself a little dog. No one will ever bother you when they hear the barking dog. I hope you have chosen a nice neighborhood with nice neighbors who will keep an eye out for you.
    zoolady12

Answer by zoolady12 at 2:20 PM on Aug. 2, 2010