I couldnt belive when my daughter told me this!!!

My daughter who is in kindergarten brought home a slip today saying her lunch account was low and that she needed to bring money to school for it..... ok whatever thats fine. BUT then she tells me that this other little girl in her class hasnt has lunch money in her account for a week and that all they will give her is the bread and butter thats always provided at lunch and a carton of milk!!!!! How can they do this to a child!!! I am just totally outraged by this.... do you think that they can actully do that????

scaredmommy08

Asked by scaredmommy08 at 9:31 PM on Oct. 3, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• That's horrible :( But that happened to my friends and me many times all through school. If we didn't have money, we didn't each lunch. The school expected our parents to either provide us with the money or lunches themselves.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:34 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• I don't know if they can but they do. I'm 22 now, but when I was little in school I didn't have luch money and they didn't give me a regular luch. I forget what I got but it wasn't much. I'd be pissed too. Like can't they just put it on your tab and send you the bill? How's a kid supposed to learn if their thinking about being hungry?
    proudmamma9706

Answer by proudmamma9706 at 9:35 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• OMG!!! Go say something to the teacher and then go to the principle!!!!! If that little girl doesnt have money in her lunch account to eat at school she likely doesnt get fed at home either.

I cant believe that a school would do something like that. I am really upset by hearing that right now. If I were you and the teacher and principle arent gonna do anything about it put money in the account so that little girl can get food to help her grow and learn
    ReneeLRS

Answer by ReneeLRS at 9:35 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Yes they can do this. It comes from the old say one apple spoils that bunch. I am sure that there were pleanty of kids not bringing lunch money, the office would provide it and then never get paid back. Every school we have been at, we are military, they do this. Granted it isn't right but the parents shouls be responsible for providing for their child not the school and not on a daily basis either.
    mommyof4ormore

Answer by mommyof4ormore at 9:37 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• The thing is, there's paperwork the parents can fill out in the beginning of the year to get their kids reduced or free lunch. It's for low-income families. I'm not saying that little girl is from a low-income family, but still...you never know. That's probably why the school hasn't stepped in yet, they leave it up to the parents to provide money for their kids or apply for reduced/free lunch.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:41 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• It actually is illegal for them to do that. You should call the school board. There is actually a law that deal with this that states that they are responsible for making sure the children get theirl lunch, or something similar to that. My mother in law juat had this issue at her daughters school and she would have been able to sue the school system. It is illegal. Yes it is the parents job to provide for the children, but while they are in the care of the school, it is their responsibility as well to see that they get what they need. You definatly need to call the school board on this.
    Anonymous

• Yes I have heard of this...one of the many reasons I opted for private school (much better than public in my area) anyway, our school does do a charge account and after 20 dollars they send home a bill if lunches havent been paid in advance. Also there is the government free lunch program that can be applied for by the school on behalf of the child, if their parents opt not to do it themselves. Either way, NO CHILD should ever go hungry!
    megmckn

Answer by megmckn at 9:46 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Yeah, they do this at my daughter's school too. They give them a cheese sandwich and a milk if they don't have any money in their account. I'm really grateful for the online service they have now. This happened to my daughter one day. She came home with a note saying her lunch account was at zero, and told me all she had gotten for lunch was a cheese sandwich and milk, and I went straight back to the school and raised hell. They had charged her for a day she was absent, and so they didn't let her have a lunch for no reason. I was beyond pissed. They apologized and even credited the account for an extra day to try to "make it better" I now log in to her account every day to make sure it doesn't happen again.
    WadeMom313

Answer by WadeMom313 at 9:47 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• That STINKS!! There are federal programs in place to make sure that all children get a nutritious lunch if the parents cannot afford to buy them one!! A child can get a lunch for a reduced price OR FREE if the family is on assistance. If it is a matter of the parents just forgetting, then a note should be sent home or a phone call to the parents should be made. I NEVER had to go without lunch when my mom forgot to give me lunch money. We were never on assistance, and there were times when, on a Monday she would forget to give me money for a weekly hot lunch ticket, but I was never given less food than the other kids. That is totally unfair to the child and it's not like public schools don't get enough funding for the federal lunch programs I would be FURIOUS if that happened to my child!!!!
    Aprilmorgans

Answer by Aprilmorgans at 9:48 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• If anyone should call the school board it's that kids mother not you.

At the school where I teach kids are given PB and J if they haven't paid their balances. School lunches aren't free and more parents than you'd expect don't pay up. School funding is getting cut all over the place. Unfortuatly the schools can't afford to cover the debt of the parents.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 9:50 PM on Oct. 3, 2008