Is this "YOUR" Christianity?

A nondenominational church in Gainesville, FL, plans to host an "International Burn a Quran Day" on the ninth anniversary of the September 11, 2001, attacks.

The Dove World Outreach Center says it is hosting the event to remember 9/11 victims and take a stand against Islam. With promotions on its website and Facebook page, it invites Christians to burn the Muslim holy book at the church from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.

"We believe that Islam is of the devil, that it's causing billions of people to go to hell, it is a deceptive religion, it is a violent religion and that is proven many, many times," Pastor

"I mean ask yourself, have you ever really seen a really happy Muslim? As they're on the way to Mecca? As they gather together in the mosque on the floor? Does it look like a real religion of joy?"

"No, to me it looks like a religion of the devil."

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/07/29/florida.burn.quran.day/index.html?npt=NP1

beachmamaof2

Asked by beachmamaof2 at 11:40 AM on Aug. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Main Entry: hyp·o·crite
    1: a person who puts on a false appearance of virtue or religion

Hate-filled hypocritical bigots...And people wonder what I have against organized religion...this is it...perfect example of people being led around like puppets...I can think for myself; follow my own conscience and still be a better person than the majority of these people who claim to be "Christ Like" - oh the irony...

This to me is just the absolute epitome of hypocrisy. And yet these asshats honestly believe they're following the teachings of Christ; and they are the morally righteous. So how is spreading unfounded hate (and inciting others to do the same) Christian?? Umm yeah that's what I thought...and yet that seems to be a running theme throughout the church's history; spread fear & hate about anything that's not "their way"...
    beachmamaof2

Comment by beachmamaof2 (original poster) at 11:42 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• No, it's not. It's inflammatory.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:45 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• he (and his church) may be ''spreading fear and hate'', but you are not much better, lumping all ''organized religion'' into the same pile. although i disagree with his method/actions..legally, he has the right to do this, as protesting (if that's the soapbox they choose to claim)..just as anyone has the right to burn a flag (which i disagree with, also), or picket at funerals of the fallen.

i ask you, would you be upset with a non-xtian group burning copies of the bible, or any other 'holy' book they disagreed with/or/represented a 'people'?
    i wouldn't like it..but until laws are changed for everyone, it will happen..legally.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:50 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I wonder what Jesus would say to that preacher?
    I'd like to be a fly on the wall for that conversation....
    mpeada

Answer by mpeada at 11:52 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I may not agree with their religion but I see the incident no better than cross burners. To me it is a hate filled action.
    dragonlady44

Answer by dragonlady44 at 11:54 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• dullscissors
    I did not lump all people of faith together. Yes I believe that 'organized religion' is a negative influence in our society. I believe it creates 'mob mentalities' about a variety of subjects based solely on the "leaders" opinions at the time. Sure there are some people of conscience that would leave a church if the views became outlandish; but sadly it's not proven in history to be the majority. They are in a sense 'peer pressured' into staying and joining the mob.

I don't think anyone requires someone else to tell them what the bible teaches. You should be able to read it for yourselves.

And yes; I would be just as disgusted with any group who preaches "truth & love" and then turns around and incites unfounded hate...regardless of the object of their hate...
    beachmamaof2

Comment by beachmamaof2 (original poster) at 11:59 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• And I never said they didn't have the "right" or legalities to do so; just that I find it astoundingly hypocritical...

I was raised with a 'Golden Rule' mentality...so it forces me to wonder how they'd react if people started burning bibles in protest? They'd be beyond outraged. But they see themselves above the others and so justified in meeting out judgment that they consider themselves immune from...
    beachmamaof2

Comment by beachmamaof2 (original poster) at 12:02 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Nope it's hate. i also dont consider Rev Wright church Christian, and my Mormon cousin thinks that those cult Mormons are NUTS. I dont believe religious or spiritual texts should be burned. Thats just awful. :(

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 12:21 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Im sure there are quite a few CM members that wish they lived closer so they could attend

and no, there is nothing Christ-like about it

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 12:23 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• There are many Bible verses that tells you to watch out for false prophets
    MsHouseWife

Answer by MsHouseWife at 12:24 PM on Aug. 1, 2010