When you try a new meal how do you get your kids to try it?

In our house the kids have to try whatever I make. I am getting ready to start making a new meal every night. How do you get your kids to try it and do they usually like it?

justme581

Asked by justme581 at 11:49 AM on Aug. 1, 2010 in Food & Drink

• it's simple - they eat what I fix or go hungry! I am not a caterer LOL
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 11:56 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I put it in front of her and tell her it's dinner. I am not a short order cook.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 11:59 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I make it, they eat it... Like the other night I made an Indian supper, and they loved it. I have been making different things since they were babies and have never had trouble with them not wanting to try it.. They tell me I should open a restaurant because they love what I eat so I guess I'm lucky....
    IMO if you start them young, like when they start eating table food, offering them everything, and letting them see you try everything, they will want to...
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 11:59 AM on Aug. 1, 2010

• what I *make*
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:00 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• A new meal every night might be too much. My mom used to try new things once a week. We were forced to eat it. Meals were a battlefield and I hated it. I have had ulcers and digestive problems since I was a young child.

I tried new things that had things in them that they liked. Either they weren't real picky or I was good at predicting. We ate a wide variety of food and they almost always ate what I made. They could take what they wanted, I didn't load their plates up. I had 3 sons and the last one done had to do the dishes (put them in the dishwasher). That encouraged getting done in a reasonable amount of time and taking only what you were going to eat.  

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:02 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• We have a rule in our house. Its a one bite no thank you. Thank goodness they eat every thing I have cooked. It was a rough start when we gained full custody of the boys. Because they were trying new things all the time.
    justme581

Comment by justme581 (original poster) at 12:02 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• They never have a problem trying anything new. I never make anything 100% new though - if we're trying a new meat dish I'll make potatoes & veggies they're used to, if I'm trying a new hotdish I'll make sure some of the ingredients are familiar to them. But most of my new meals are experiments anyway, new recipes aren't my thing. They know how I cook, they like how I cook, so it's pretty easy.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 1:19 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I would never try more than one new dish on my family in a week.

We use the 3 bite rule. You must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; if you don't like it, you fix yourself peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast with a kiwi or apple.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:05 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I agree. One new dish a week is more than enough. My kids have to try at least one bite and then there are always leftovers or sandwiches if you don't like it.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 2:53 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I always make sure I have something they like as a side. I just give them a little and make them try it.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 3:00 PM on Aug. 1, 2010