Placenta being too mature!?

I am 35 weeks today and I went for a sonogram due to some bleeding that I was having! When they looked at my placenta, it had a ton of white specs all over it and they said that my placenta was maturing really fast. Has anyone ever had this happen? They are gonna start doing fetal stress tests and fluid checks starting on Monday!

Mommy2Bx32008

Asked by Mommy2Bx32008 at 9:33 PM on Oct. 3, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Apparently the placenta has a lifespan. That's one reason they won't let you go too far past your due date, the placenta can actually 'die' or something to that extent. I'm sorry I don't know anything more about it though :( Good luck and I hope everything turns out okay.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:43 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

• This white is calcification which is normal, especially with older placentas. But placentas are designed with an abundant reserve. If baby shows signs of not growing or you have bleeding (which you do?) from a detaching placenta, it is more serious. Is this bleeding just a little spotting or a significant amount?
    Good luck!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:58 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

• Yes, I had that problem at about 35 weeks. I was 35 years old on my 4th pregnancy. Every thing turned out fine. I was able to get to my due date without any problems.
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 4:07 PM on Oct. 4, 2008