Pacifier Please!!

My 3 month old refuses to take a pacifier. She much rather likes to have a finger or her thumb or fist in her mouth to slobber and suck on to soothe her. Which is fine because she can do it on her own and it works. But i cant take her hands from her when she gets older. Pacifiers can be trashed. Any suggestions?

KENZIKISSES13

Asked by KENZIKISSES13 at 12:03 PM on Aug. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She's 3 months old, let her suck on her hands if that makes her happy. Don't force the pacifier it's too late for that anyway.
    kaylan010

Answer by kaylan010 at 12:04 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Babies have strong sucking needs, some more than others. Breastfed babies spend hours on the breast a day. FF babies spend little time with a bottle and it's not the same at all. She is doing what's best for her. It's normal for children to breastfeed until they are 2-3 or older. She may suck her fingers that long or longer. My suggestion is to get used to it, it's normal.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 12:08 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• She is just a little baby, it is not like she is 3-4yrs old and still sucking the fingers/thumb. If sucking on her fingers/thumb make her happy and comfort her then I would let it be. I would not worry about it right now, I'd wait and see what happens. Who knows she may give it up on her own when she is a bit older and plays with toys, is able to get around on her on and gets busy 'exploring' (aka getting into things). Then the thumb/fingers might not be so exciting and interesting to her anymore...
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:16 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I agree that it is too late to force a pacifier. Plus, if they don't want it...they are not going to take it. As for now, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I wouldn't worry about it until he/she is older and has permanent teeth. Your child may very well grow out of it by then.
    Megan2686

Answer by Megan2686 at 12:23 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Mine was the same way. She hated pacifiers and never took one. She outgrew the finger sucking on her own when she was about a year old.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:29 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• my 4 month old would rather chew on her dads fingers right after he smokes then to use her gumdrop paccy. they make a paccy called a gumdrop paccy it smells of vinialla. my daughter has found that she can put her thumb in it and still chew on her finger but not really chew on her finger. she loves it cause she can chew on the whole thing since its all rubber and thick. she has been teething since she was 2 months.
    puresouthern

Answer by puresouthern at 3:20 PM on Aug. 1, 2010