Big Baby

My 3 month old was born weighing 8lbs 11oz. And she now weighs about 14 lbs. the doc says she is doing just perfectly and is growing right on track and that her weight gain is very healthy. But she is already wearing 6month clothes. And me and her father are little bitty. Could two midgets seriously produce a giant?

KENZIKISSES13

Asked by KENZIKISSES13 at 12:06 PM on Aug. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Is she breastfed? It's normal for kids to get big quick and then level off.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:10 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• My first daughter was born 6lbs 14oz and was 14lbs when she was 9 months. Now I just had a 9lb baby and I'm sure she'll be just as big. Babies come in all sizes so don't worry.
    hornz102485

Answer by hornz102485 at 12:13 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• LOL...she sounds healthy to me, ma :)
    My daughter was 8 pounds,8 ounces when she was born. She's 17 months now and only 20 pounds,3 ounces. I think that as the months pass...the weight evens out.
    Think of it this way..if she's only at 14 pounds now..she's only gained about 5 pounds in 3 months. Usually they double thier birth weight within the first 6 weeks.
    You just did a good job at keeping her healthy! :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:14 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• My mom was 4'10" and 88lbs when she got pregnant with me and I was 8lbs 14oz and 23in long. I was a big baby, but, I am a short 5'2" now.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:17 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Babies rarely fit the prescribed sizes at the store. That's not something I would worry about. If your doc says your baby is growing right on track, then that's what I would go with. Clothes often times go by length too, you have to keep that in mind! My daughter is 2 but she is so tall that she is wearing 3T and 4T. That doesn't mean she's fat, cuz she certainly isn't!
    Megan2686

Answer by Megan2686 at 12:19 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Some peoples bodies make thier babies large. And around 6mo the genetics kick in and slow them down or vice versa. My friends son was in the 97th percentile for a while and now at 12 months hes in the 50th (mom and dad are both small). He slowed alot. My son was in the 50th for a while, but has went up to the 92nd (DH and i are tall).. The genetics will come into play eventually :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 12:25 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• We actually have the opposite problem. My daughter was nearly 8 lbs at birth but has been small for her age ever since. Our doctor is not concerned because all the women on both sides of the family are petite, so it's natural that she would be, too. You say you and your husband are small, but was there anyone in the family who as tall? Your daughter could have inherited genes from her grandparents or great-grandparents.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:26 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• i should add...By one year old, I was tiny and stayed the tiniest kid forever.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:28 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• It's totally normal for babies to wear a size larger than their age. My son has always worn a size larger than those for his age, and he's always been at 50th percentile for weight, and totally healthy.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:41 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Dont go by the sizes on clothes. Most babies are wearing a bigger size, then can even out. Since babies yours' age arnt' crawling, they tend to be cute and rolly :) Im small too and both my kids were big babies, but are skinny little things now! :)
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 1:17 PM on Aug. 1, 2010