How do i get my toddler off the pacifier?

Tasha555

Asked by Tasha555 at 12:08 PM on Aug. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Cold turkey. It's the only way to do it.
    hornz102485

Answer by hornz102485 at 12:08 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I'm not sure if this is mean, it didn't seem to bother my daughter... When she started crawling we threw it away and said gone gone and she never thought twice about it. That's what I did with 2 of my boys as well. Worked for me...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 12:10 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Its not easy..especially if they LOVE it,lol. My son used his binky until he was about 2 1/2...I finally decided enough was enough and I told him he was a big boy now and it was time to throw the binkies away. It was cold turkey.(but I DID keep one hidden..just in case)
    He was upset about it for a couple nights but it passed.
    GOod Luck!!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:10 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Personally, I feel that it depends on the child's age. Our daughter just turned 2. We lost her last pacifier and fortunately, she was old enough to understand that. It was a rough couple of nights but she adjusted rather quickly. If you don't want to do it cold turkey, I would suggest only letting your child have their pacifier at bed times for a week or two and then take it away entirely.
    Megan2686

Answer by Megan2686 at 12:10 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I heard someone say to trim a little bit at a time back once a day. until they can't grab on any more. I never used pacifiers.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:11 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Easy. Take it from him or her. they will wine, they will cry. But just take it. One day when they arent looking throw them all in the TRASH. so they cant be found. And when they wine or cry for it. Give them something else for comfort. Try a blankie or stuffed animal. But do not, i repeat, do not give in. It will all be ver in a day or so.
    KENZIKISSES13

Answer by KENZIKISSES13 at 12:13 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• take it away, deal with her yelling and crying like other's do with hugs and kisses. you have to do it sometime
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 12:17 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• This is what I did with mine, I spend quite a few months preparing, I would tell them that only babies used them and they were big boy/girls, I had everyone that came in contact with them to say the same, reinforce the big gir/boy thing, and in a matter of months, they one day gave it up themselves.

Answer by older at 1:35 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Let your child give it up when he r she is ready. My DD will be 3 in Nov and she has hers at night only and it will stay that way until she is ready to give it up! What is the harm?
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 2:48 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• my sil cut her son sown to when he slept (naps and bedtime) then to just bedtime, not sure if he still uses it but after just bed they were going to take from him.
    puresouthern

Answer by puresouthern at 3:06 PM on Aug. 1, 2010