10.5 month old climbing the couch

dear lord save me. it has been two weeks of nonstop climbing.
I have tried not paying any attention... not looking at him, just taking him off, putting him down(away from the couch, near toys) and walking away. i've tried taking him off, setting him down, and saying "no" I feel like I've been pretty consistant, i mean for a few days I tried the saying no but then it was so obvious he was doing it for attention because he is doing it when I'm ... not paying attention to him..

I've blocked off one couch, can't block the other.
mostly I just need some support, if I continue taking him off without paying attention to it, will be EVER stop lol

comments concerns tips advice... thanks :)

ElsaSalsaaa

Asked by ElsaSalsaaa at 12:13 PM on Aug. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• the novelty does wear off, but it never completely stops and is very nerve wracking.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:14 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Thats why the invention of port a cribs.... (: when you need a break.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 12:15 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• My son does the same thing. It has been a few months for us. lol
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 12:17 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• He's a monkey,ma! LOL. I about had a heart attack when my daughter started climbing the couch...then she started climbing chairs..now she climbs up on the tables..I'm waiting for her to start swinging from the hanging light in the kitchen,lol. Dh caught her on top of the bathroom sink last week. I do like you...I take her down and firmly say NO...but she continues to do it...at least a hundred times a day. This mornign, she fell off the computer chair and busted her lip.
    Know what she did a couple weeks ago? She took her diaper off..climbed up on the kitchen island butt naked, sat there and PEED on it!!! LMBO! I didnt know whether to laugh or cry! I just shake my head..and just can't wait for the climbing phase to blow over. We did get her an outdoor climber though..she loves that. I want to get a couple smaller ones for inside...hoping that might help with her NEED to be a monkey girl,lol. GOOD LUCK!!! :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:19 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• It was about this age that we started using time out. Might be time to start. Oh, and the climbing gets worse the taller they get. Next it will be the stairs, the kitchen chairs, your bed, you name it.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:20 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• My youngest is is like that too. We call him a mountain goat. He is so nimble, he can and will climb anything. Sorry mom it doesn't get much better. You just have to WATCH him like crazy fro the next few months and baby proof everything, even the stuff up high where you never through he would be able to reach.
    Now would be a good time to secure all the dressers and book cases to the wall, they sell the kits at Lowes.

Good luck Momma! Just think... maybe one day he will be an extreme sports star!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:29 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• @kimberlyinberea yeah I had he same idea.. .Their birthday is coming up Sep 14th so I'm getting them a little tikes castle climb/slide thinger. its only like 70 dollars toys r us and my mom gave me a coupon so. I cant wait for their birthday XD.

@hotmama330 how did you go about starting time out at this age. i've considered it but am unsure if theyll catch on to the meaning. did it worK??
    ElsaSalsaaa

Comment by ElsaSalsaaa (original poster) at 12:30 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I think it's because it's a new thing learned. However if he falls off he could get hurt. But climbing on a sofa or couch is just the beginning. It means he is a lot more mobile. He'll be exploring further as soon as he's done climbing.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 12:31 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• @sleepingbeautee haha yeah I've thought about that. we have a table in the entry way. recently my mom mounted the massive MIRROR to the wall thank god but not the table. the problem is i live with my parents so its up to my wallet to buy the stuff and up to them to WANT to do it. unfortunatly I dn't get much say. I want to put up gates in the rooms they play in but i have to buy th eones that dont SCREW in, just press against the wall and my dad has disabilities so i have to get the kind that swing open so with those two requirements their about 70 dollars each and i need at least three if not five. problem is, even if i had the money for thm, there is one spot in the house that the walls are diagnoal so it would take some renovating to make the gate work and i dont think my mom wants to do that. :/
    ElsaSalsaaa

Comment by ElsaSalsaaa (original poster) at 12:32 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Thank you!!!! I also have a 10 1/2 month old, and he's doing the same thing, lol!!!!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:39 PM on Aug. 1, 2010