Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

landlord problems

We live next to our landlord. It's noisy, unsafe (floors caved, mildewed bedroom, leaky fridge, hanging ceiling beam), not private (he's walked in on me naked and come in while we were gone). He's asked for money early, refuses to put bills in our name, refuses to show bills to prove amounts he claims. Our 6 month lease started in May and is written to end in Dec.--an extra month. This is the first month we've not been able to pay on time, but we're moving Nov 1. Any advice is welcome!

Answer Question

Asked by eirejade at 9:38 PM on Oct. 3, 2008 in Home & Garden

Level 9 (307 Credits)
Answers (10)
  • Don't even worry about it. There is nothing he can do to get you out earlier. Most states have a law that eviction processes can't even begin until someone hasn't paid for 3 months. It is technically his property, but you do have the right to refuse entrance if you want and most states have laws about notifying you when they are coming in, unless it is an emergency. Check your state laws and invest in a chain lock for the remainder of your time there (you can always take it with you).

    Answer by chillemi78 at 9:43 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

  • Moving is a good thing. If I were you, after I moved, I would call the housing authority on him. He can't let his building get that way, it's a health and safety hazard. I would move sooner if you could. I used to be a property manager. I don't know all the laws in all the states, but I know a lot of the general "all over" laws. If you have any specific questions, you can pm me and I'll help the best I can.

    Answer by WadeMom313 at 9:43 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

  • Just get out!!! Its not safe for you or your kids (if any)! Unless he had a reason to be in your home he was tresspassing and should be reported the next time it happens. If you know anyone in Law Enforcement, let them know whats going on.

    Answer by Steph319 at 9:44 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

  • You can actually break your lease and move earlier if you want. Due to the conditions in which you say, he is putting you in harm and your kids. You have a RIGHT to leave. If he has anything to say about it then you just say that you will contact the local police and have then come and decide for him and then you can call the health department and have them come out too. I bet he sings a different tune then. I used to live in an apartment that had no heat, you could only take shower for 2 minutes before the hot water would run out and when we went in to the basement to change a fuse, we found there was a foot of sewage in there. We ssaid something to out landlord, but he refused to do anything. He now has NO rental home and is never allowed to rent again. Oh and our deposit and first months rent for out new place was on him as well.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

  • make sure you take a lot of pictures of the conditions you live in. I think you also need to give him a 30 day notice or you will be liable for Nov. rent if he sued.

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:54 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

  • Call the county building inspector. At least in Michigan it is free for you to call on your landlord and they come out and run an inspection...with you leaving early, this would be great to have for court if he decides to take you. A girlfriend of mine had to do that because there were shorts in the electrical work that would leave them without power in half of their house for days at a time...the inspector said it was amazing the problems hadn't caused a fire!

    Answer by kabbot01 at 10:58 PM on Oct. 3, 2008

  • RUN!!! Far and Fast!!! He is a total crook.

    Answer by evilabbysmom at 9:59 AM on Oct. 4, 2008

  • check with your county court clerk office. I work for one in my county. We have a flyer about tennants rights. I have not read it but I am sure it will give you advice. I know they can not just come into your home. You should turn him in so that he doesn't do it to anyone else. I also agree that it is best that you move. You might try searching for tennants rights online or talk with an attorney. Alot of times they will talk with you the first time for free and point you to the right area. Good luck.

    Answer by Anonymous at 11:39 PM on Oct. 5, 2008

  • It is illegal for a landlord to come into your home without 24hr notice first. He sounds like a total jackass. I would go to your local authority, they usually have a department that deals with tenat rights and can usually help you out.
    I know you can also refuse to pay if he doesnt fix they problems. The trick is you have to have the money in a bank acount set aside so you have proof that you can pay when they are fixed. You have a right to a safe environment, and he is liable if these things arnt fixed.

    Answer by gavrilmom at 10:54 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

  • 1. I would have read the whole thing before I signed it. 2. If you knew this was like that then what did you move in for anyways? 3. I would go to the board of health and turn him in. 4. The landlord does have the right to enter in you're home if he feels something isn't right but just to walk in for nothing no he doesn't have that right. Sound's to me he's a pervert for doing that. 5. But some landlord's won't turn the bill over to you. I've had one like that before. I'm not sure with why some are like that but there are some like that. Not sure if they have the right to refuse or not. But I would call you're electric company and find out if he has the right to not put it into you're names? Or look on you're lease agreement and find out that way. If nothing of that helps out then get a lawyer. Because they might at least be able to give free advice if anything else.

    Answer by snickers1201 at 12:08 PM on Nov. 4, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Home & Garden
Is it possible???

Next question overall (Pregnancy)
Placenta being too mature!?