How reliable are repressed Memories? adult content

This is a very IMPORTANT question, About 15 years ago i started going to a counselor due to being molested at the age of 13 by our 85 y/o neighbor, well during those visits to my counselor we talked about these nightmares I had about other things happening to me in my childhood, specific things that involve someone who is still a big part of mine and my childrens lives ! EVERYONE is accusing me of making these things up SO HOW RELIABLE ARE MY REPRESSED MEMORIES????? the memory was from when i was 2-4 and I DO NOT HAVE ANY OTHER MEMORIES OF ANYTHING untill AFTER AGE 5 what is going on with my brain and how do i get these people to believe me???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:53 PM on Aug. 1, 2010 in Health

• They can be very reliable. It depends largely on the therapy techniques and ethics of the counselor, but largely repressed memories are very reliable. It is only through the rare instances of these memories being incorrect and having this widely shared by the media are so many doubts raised.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 12:57 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• In your own words is what is most important. It's a review of what you remember, to connect the dots, and doesn't hurt the ones who don't believe you, it hurts you more. Or the one who is repressed.
    coffeeyum

Answer by coffeeyum at 1:01 PM on Aug. 1, 2010