I have a question for someone that really knows about dogs.My mom has a 3 yr old husky at her house and it seems aggressive to me..I'm worried for my kids safety when we go over there...

The dog is my moms boyfriends dog. This is becoming an issue, a serious one. I'm NOT afraid if dogs,usually.I've volunteered at kennels and have rolled with the meanest lookin pits.I love animals. This dog however, I have a bad feeling about.She just has this look in her eye that says she could snap at any time and the posture of her back looks tense.Sometimes she can be really sweet, others, she scares me.She has bitten my mom..drawing blood.She's killed one of my moms kittens..I was over there when it happened.I've asked them to keep the dog put up when I'm over there with the kids. They had her tied up in the front yard, where we were sitting.My 17 mnth old walked up to the dog,smiling.I calmly said, come here Aubrey(to my dd).The dog jumped from a laying postion and hit my dd in the face with her face and knocked her down and stood over her, I felt that if any sudden movements were made, she would have (CONT)

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 1:16 PM on Aug. 1, 2010 in Pets

• Be Careful! You are right! I would follow MY instincts on this. Sometimes.when people treat dogs like people the lines get blury for the poor dog! My dad has a HUGE dog like this. He once bit my dd when she was just over 2 yrs old~right through her hand. My dad blamed my dd,Oh,she was bothering him while he was eating. Keep your children far from this dog.
    momthruivf

Answer by momthruivf at 6:29 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• You are not overreacting. I would refuse to visit your mother's house anymore. Make her come to you. I fired my son's first sitter because she lied about keeping her dog around the kids when she watched them (well it was one of the reasons, there were several). My son was the youngest (most of the kids she watched were school age) and she had a very aggressive Dalmatian. Everytime DH and I went over there she would growl with us. I don't know if she was like that around the kids, but I wasn't going to take that chance with my (then) 3 month old son.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 2:14 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I would NOT step foot into that house unless the dog was in the yard fenced or locked in another room. NO reason to feel bad. They must know the temperament of the dog. It is not a big deal to ask them to seclude it when you are over.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:23 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I think your post truly answers your question. The actions went further than I would have stood for, that's about all I'll say. I think you know what to do.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:38 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I agree with the PPs. That dog has a serious dominance issue and it's not being handled properly (umm..at all!). If your mom's BF isn't willing to do anything re: training, socialization and/or keeping the dog separated, I would NOT go over there with my kids. The dog has shown you over and over again it's behavioral issues. If the owner (or you, indirectly) choose to ignore these warning signs, nothing good can come of it. 

deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 1:45 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• a husky is an agressive dog, they were made from the wild. they have to be tamed.
    josephsgirl86

Answer by josephsgirl86 at 8:18 AM on Aug. 2, 2010

• (CONT) attacked her further. The boyfriend got mad and just walked around to the back of the house, didnt even correct the dog. I yelled "HEY!HEY!HEY) and went over and picked my dd up off the ground..who was screaming. My mom kept saying th edog was just playing..I'm tellingyou..it was NOT a playful move. I've tried explaining this to my mom..she just doesnt agree with me. If you see the dogs posture and the way the tail stands at attention...you just KNOW its not a game to this dog. I think that because THEY are used to the animals ways..they dont see what I'm talking about. I got mad and left. I feel bad..but I dont want my children gettign bitten!
    Am I overreacting? What advice can I give them to do something about this animal? I hate to not go to my moms anymore, my kids love it over there..but unless they do somethign with that dog, I have no choice. What do I do?? :(
    kimberlyinberea

Comment by kimberlyinberea (original poster) at 1:20 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• GET RID OF THE DOG!!!!!!!!!
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:28 PM on Aug. 1, 2010