To All Athetis...what guidelines or book(s) do you llive by???

Like Christians have the Bible and witches spell books ect...

mekarevell

Asked by mekarevell at 1:54 PM on Aug. 1, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I live by my heart, not a book.
    My heart never lies....and has always led me in the right direction. It was when I didn't listen to it that I got hurt.
    I teach my children by my heart as well. It's not hard to listen to one's instinct to know how treat one another, all living things, and how to teach and live respectfully with love.
    Love is all you need, really!
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 3:19 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• We don't need a book to teach us how to be decent human beings.
    I know I only have one life with no do-overs, no afterlife, no one to "forgive my sins" so I do my best to live my one life the best way I can. I want to leave the world a better place than I found it.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:03 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Why would they need a book to live by? Atheists aren't held back by beliefs in gods or myths, they are simply able to live their life by what they see and understand. Choices are made not on religious emotion but on knowledge and conscious. And like anyone else they teach what they know... There is no need for a book, they have their minds and use them.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:02 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• We don't have any, that's the point!  I live by the laws of society and I don't infringe on anyone's rights, other than that it's my life to live as I see fit and I won't allow anyone to make me feel guilty or shameful.  I will not allow a religion to impose restrictions on me, I will not allow clergy to brainwash me with their own agenda and I will not check a book for permission for every decision I make. 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 2:08 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I have told her that he (her grandfather) died. That his body stopped working, as will everyone's and all that was left was a broken body. That the body would be cremated and put in a box to be put on the shelf at her Granny's house. That since he died, he couldn't talk to her anymore, couldn't hold her anymore. But she would always have the memories of the fun she had with him. Pretty simple, straitforward, and easy to understand. At least, my girl, 3 at the time, got it.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:02 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Why do you need a book to tell you how to live?

I follow my heart, the rules of society and use my common sense. I don't see why anyone needs anything more than that.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 3:06 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I have no books. I just live my life hoping I make the right decisions that will enable me to look my daughter in the eye and sleep at night. So far, so good. :-)
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:55 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Im christian. But i have atheist frineds do not live by any book. thats sort of the point of being atheist. isnt it?
    KENZIKISSES13

Answer by KENZIKISSES13 at 2:21 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• No matter the denomination or belief or non belief you dont need a book to tell you what to do or not do. Thats what your minds and hearts are for.

p.s. witches dont use a spell book to "live by". Its for putting their recipes and spells down so they have them when needed.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 2:51 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• no books
    Common sense and empathy guide me in making the right decisions
    as for death, when you're dead that's it, game over. so make the best of life and make smart decisions now cause this is your only shot!
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 5:04 PM on Aug. 1, 2010