When is a good age to switch from crib, to toddler bed?

KENZIKISSES13

Asked by KENZIKISSES13 at 2:26 PM on Aug. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We switched our dd recently, 15 mo, cuz her crib was recalled. Sometimes I long for the bars of the crib to keep her in but watching her crawl in & out of her big girl bed makes me smile. Its funny to see her come wandering out after her nap!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 2:27 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• We did at 18 months. She was old enough to understand not to get out and wander around. That's the most important thing, that she won't wander around her room and get hurt or in trouble.
    Some kids grasp that earlier some older. We had planned to keep the crib until her 2nd birthday, but we moved 6 months before her birthday and her crib got broke. So, instead of buying another for only 6 months, we just got a toddler bed.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:29 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• we switched at about 18 months or so. We never had a problem with her crawling out of her crib or anything, we just decided to switch bc we found out I was pregnant so I wanted to start the transition as early as possible to make it easier when the baby came, that way my dd didnt feel like she was being kicked out of her crib bc of the baby. it was also nice because she was old enough to know to stay in her bed. she never gets out of it unless we are in her room which makes it really nice bc I dont have to worry about her walking around and messing with anything or getting hurt.
    Amanduhpanda

Answer by Amanduhpanda at 2:31 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• 2 years is about the norm.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 2:31 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• My son is 23 months and he's still in his crib. He doesn't attempt to climb out at all. He loves his crib and we'll probably wait another 6 months before switching him.
    KJohnson4762

Answer by KJohnson4762 at 2:32 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• we switched around 18 months
    happy-go-lucky

Answer by happy-go-lucky at 2:36 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• When they reach the weight limit on it, are uncomfortable in it, or are attempting to climb out. Before that, a crib is safer. But ultimately, it's up to you. Whenever you feel is a good time. Personally, I prefer mine to be in it as long as possible. Easier for me.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 2:37 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• With my children it was a safety issue. If they were trying to climb over the sides of the crib, my thoughts on this are it's extremely dangerous because there is quite a bit of height when you put the sides of the crib up. That was a signal to me that they needed a bed to sleep in. However when purchasing the crib I got smart. and purchased a crib that was capable of being turned into a youth bed.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 2:38 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• With our first dd we did it as soon as she turned two, big mistake. She never wanted to be in the bed and ended up sleeping with us most the time. Soooo... with our last two, we waited until they were 3 and have never had a problem with them sleeping in their own bed. But every one's circumstances are different so do it when you feel you and your child are ready:)

shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 3:07 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• We switched our kids between 15 and 18 months. That's only because I kept getting pregnant though. lol.
    jollymommy

Answer by jollymommy at 4:07 PM on Aug. 1, 2010