Can you drive a manual car?

Another question got me thinking about driving here in the US. There are not many manual cars in my area and not many people know how to drive them anymore. I learned how to drive using a manual car and it actually took me a while to get use to driving an automatic. So, I was wondering how many of you lovely ladies know how to drive a manual? Also, who taught you to drive a manual and did you learn how to drive a manual or an automatic first?

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 2:33 PM on Aug. 1, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I learned automatic first. My dad and step dad took turns trying to teach me a manual. I feel I could do it if I HAD to, like in an emergency and that's the only thing there. But other than that, not going to happen! I prefer automatic. :-)
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:34 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Yes, my first car was an automatic and the transmission broke and they put a standard 3 gear one, I had to teach myself.

Answer by older at 2:36 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I know how to drive a stick and really like to. I started on an automatic but then one of my friends who wasn't the brightest bulbs knew how to drive a stick and I knew if she could I could so my brother in law taught me.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 2:36 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I have never driven anything but automatic. We just added a new car to the family but it's a stick! My husband has to teach me to drive it which scares me a lot.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 2:36 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I can, and I prefer manual (though I have to admit with kids an automatic is easier). I learned on an automatic then my boyfriend (at the time) tried to teach me to drive manual but he had zero patience. My mom and sister taught me manual. My car is an automatic, DHs is a manual and I drive both.
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 2:38 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• yes, they are more fun to drive.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 2:38 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• I was taught on a manual-my parents said if you can drive a stick you can drive anything. I drove a stick through highschool and part of college. I now have a automatic that is drive most days but now we have three mustangs too-all stick and I am so glad I learned to drive a manual. I love driving the "stangs".
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 2:39 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Carajust~3 mustangs how lucky what years?
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 2:40 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Yes, I prefer it. I was taught on one. I don't have a car anymore, but sure wish I did
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 2:40 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Yes. I had to learn to drive one when I was stationed overseas because automatic transmissions were hard to find.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 2:47 PM on Aug. 1, 2010