How likely is it that I'm havng heart problems at 33?

I don't know about risk factors in my family. My left shoulder blade and elbow have been hurting, I've been really anxious lately, (my fear of driving came back with a bang), I can't sleep for hours after I lay down, and my asthma is acting up so badly that I've taken my rescue inhaler six times in the last two days.

I can explain away all of those things...I'm stressed about the move, and I've been typing a lot.
Do you think it's stupid to see a doctor just to be safe?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 2:33 PM on Aug. 1, 2010 in Health

• Of course my first recommendation would be to see a doctor. It also sounds like you are having a lot of anxiety and you are tensing up in your sleep. I do that a lot when I am extremely stressed something. I wake up with a stiff shoulder and part of my back.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 3:12 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• You may be having anxiety attacks, they are very similar in symptoms as a heart attack.
    Hartbrayka

Answer by Hartbrayka at 2:45 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• It could just be the muscles around the ball joint in your shoulder.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 2:35 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• It's never stupid to see a doctor. Worst case, you blew the money and are fine. If you can afford it, I'd say see the doctor if you think it would put you at ease.
    Hope you feel better soon :-)
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:36 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• My husband had to have heart surgery at the age of 32. He found out he had a heart murmur at the age of 28. If you ever feel something is wrong, get it checked out. It could be nothing, but if they do find something, it's better to deal with it when you're younger.
    KJohnson4762

Answer by KJohnson4762 at 2:37 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• its never stupid to see your doctor when there are health issues. on the contrary, it'd be stupid to NOT schedule a visit. one thing also struck me: anxiety/depression...maybe not so much depression, but you could be having panic attacks, from your descriptions. has it been a while since your last total workup? if so, if ever, you should schedule one. total blood workup/exam, being sure to discuss any and all issues you're having or have noticed out of the ordinary. be sure to write them down as you think of them, as most people tend to forget a lot of their questions once they are in the exam room.
    good luck!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:38 PM on Aug. 1, 2010

• Stress can cause all kinds of ailments including body aches. However, you may want to speak to your doctor and ask him if he thinks you should come in based on certain symptoms. However needing your inhaler six times seems excessive.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 2:43 PM on Aug. 1, 2010